Ribs with the "Digi-Q"

Discussion in 'Pork' started by raptor700, Mar 14, 2011.

1. raptor700

raptor700 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I modified ribzilla with the BBQ-Guru,

Tried some ribs, among other things, just to see if it lived up to it's reputation

[​IMG]

A few mods

and some apple,apricot glaze

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Guru was well worth the $$$

[​IMG]

2. Fantastic looking smoke...the ribs look Delicious.  Glad to hear your BBQ-Guru was a good investment.[​IMG]

3. tyotrain

tyotrain Master of the Pit

Nice looking Q.. congrats on the guru[​IMG]

4. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Ribs look fantastic, glad the guru worked for you.

5. tjohnson

tjohnson Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Insider OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great Looking Ribs!!

Did you really need the 25cfm Guru or could you get by with a smaller unit?

Todd

6. raptor700

Thanks Todd, I actually have two 25cfm fans, one on either side.

That's what their web site recommended for the size smoker i have.

It worked flawlessly, I really like the ramp down feature also

7. fpnmf

fpnmf Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Fl
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  8. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I went there and  the info for my SmokinTex is almost not there at all - what does this thing do for an electric smoker

9. smokinal

I bought a digi-Q for my WSM about 1 month ago. It was well worth it. The WSM does maintain very steady temps on it's own, but I think that you can achieve the most consistent BBQ by very close monitoring of the chamber temps. The Digi-Q will maintain any temp to + or - 2 degrees. Even in windy conditions, it works flawlessly. As long as there is fuel you can leave it unattended & it holds steady temps with little or no variation. Even my MES would vary 15 to 20 degrees in either direction as the element cycled on & off. Hard to believe that a charcoal/wood burner would be steadier than a watt burner, but it is.

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Amazing, Rap !

And those ribbies look PERFECT !

Thanks,

Bear

11. Awesome looking feast. What are those little bacon ball thingys?

12. raptor700

Thanks Alelover,
    Those are moinks with pepperjack cheese inside

13. Couldn't tell if they were little weenys or peppers or what. Bet they were really good.

14. djm3801

djm3801 Fire Starter

Love the DIGI-Q. First time I ever used it was with a Weber Smokey Mountain. Overnight with a brisket and a pork butt and it is amazing.. Got an MES 40 on the way and will try electric next weekend!

15. hmcm

hmcm Smoke Blower

Those ribs look awesome!  Can you share that apple, apricot glaze recipe?  It looks spectacular!!!

16. teesquare

teesquare Fire Starter

Great lookin ribs and MOINKS!

Question about the Guru: I understand that the fans/thermocouple work to keep the temp UP to the set point, by acting to "fan the fire" a bit.... But, what about temperature rise?  If you have a flare up, or for any reason the temp rises above your target temp settings, is the way for the Guru to bring the temp DOWN?

Thanks,

T

17. smokinal

When it first starts up it sometimes overshoots the temp. All it does is shut down & let the fire die down. On a long smoke it memorizes the way the temp fluctuates & cycles on and off as needed, to keep it right on the temp you set it at. I've run mine from 210 to 300 & it never had any problem holding whatever temp I set it at.

18. bigbbq9

bigbbq9 Newbie

the ribs look great, where did you get the recipe for an apple apricot glaze at?  that sound like something i would love to try

19. raptor700

Thanks for the kind words,

I learned of the apricot glaze at a comp,I was camped near a team that shared it with me, They won 5th out of 39 teams in ribs!

I didn't really measure anything, i just went by taste. But i started with

3tbl sp  apricot preserves

3tbl sp  apple jelly

1tsp  butter

and blend very well

I will be using this on my ribs this weekend at the Triple B cookoff, So we'll see how it does.

I liked it very much, and it's better than a bbq sauce.