Ribs... Pellet vs Charcoal/Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MelonSC

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
Omaha, Nebr
Recently got my new Weber Kettle so doing a rack of ribs on them to see if I notice a difference between that and my pellet smoker. Same rub, same process, same everything except the smoker itself. Besides, what better to do on a Sunday than make ribs :)

Attachments

• 20200419_094300.jpg
    20200419_094300.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20200419_100721_652.jpg
    IMG_20200419_100721_652.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 60
Reactions: kruizer
Doing the same thing myself today! Got the Slow-n-Sear for my kettle a couple of weeks back, the thing is amazing for dialing in temps on a Weber. RAY

Reactions: MelonSC
Doing the same thing myself today! Got the Slow-n-Sear for my kettle a couple of weeks back, the thing is amazing for dialing in temps on a Weber. RAY

I got it together Friday, and was playing with the vents that night and yesterday afternoon with little success. And then it clicked last night and I was able to get it up to and maintain 240-260. I'm really curious how they will compare in taste when they are done.

Looks like you got a real winner in those ribs.

Sure as hell is a nice after yesterdays crappy weather.I have a small tenderloin I may put in the MES later.

It snowed about 4-5 inches Thursday, 95% melted on Friday, and in the 60s over the weekend. Nebraska weather is great :) the ribs aren't anything special - what I find at my local WalMart ‐ slightly trimmed St Louis style ribs :) they haven't let me down yet.

Reactions: sawhorseray
It snowed about 4-5 inches Thursday, 95% melted on Friday, and in the 60s over the weekend. Nebraska weather is great :) the ribs aren't anything special - what I find at my local WalMart ‐ slightly trimmed St Louis style ribs :) they haven't let me down yet.

Now that you know how to dial down the temp on your kettle you might ant to investigate the "snake" or "chain" method for setting up you coals with a few wood chunks thrown into the mix. The coals supply the heat, the wood chunks the smoke flavor. My plans just got changed, wife wants burgers, ribs tomorrow. RAY

Both came out really good. The top rack was on the Pit Boss pellet smoker and the bottom rack came off the Weber Kettle. Both got same rub, both had fairly close to same amount of time. I prefer the bottom, wife prefers the top. Bottom has a heavier smoke taste, but otherwise taste similar. To me anyway :)

Attachments

• 20200419_164748.jpg
    20200419_164748.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: sawhorseray
Maybe it’s more about the color for your wife. I’ve always found it interesting how my wife doesn’t like anything that looks too dark. The flavor is secondary to her.
G

Cool experiment. I bet they were both very good. It's a win/win contest with 2 different flavor profiles.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky