Rib day with revised rub experiment

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

schlotz

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 13, 2015
Coatesville, IN
Wanted to experiment with different rubs on a rack of babybacks. Was intrigued with a previous post containing a youtube link where 3 suckle.... rubs were used, enough so that I picked up all 3 up for the test. Not certain how everyone goes about determining the viability of a new rub but for me it's the initial smell and wet finger test. Whew, 1st was so pepper forward it drew an immediate heavy cough. That was enough to determine it's a no go as the wife is very sensitive to pepper and this was way too much, even for me. 2nd one had an odd smell that triggered something in the back of my mind, and then it came to me, tabasco sauce! Taste confirmed it. I do like some heat but tabasco is not the way I would go about it. Lastly the 3rd jar. Obviously very salt forward both visually and taste wise. So rather than potentially ruining a very good looking rack I went back to those which have always provided good eats. Trimmed up the rack a bit, applied a quick spray of canola oil, laid down to proven 2 rubs and let 'em sit to melt in for 30 minutes or so while the smoker got up to temp. Put them on at 245º and kept them spritzed until pulled 5 hours later. Her half gets a store bought hickory sauce (her choice) and mine gets a light glazing of home made Rum Sweet Heat. Dinner was excellent, perfectly smoked to a clean bite. So much for the experiment that didn't happen. 3 jars examined and now in the trash but in the end, an enjoyable meal.

IMG_5754.jpg

Last edited:
I hope killer hogs was one of your rubs that you used! I love that stuff and use it a lot! Especially if I dont have time to make my own.

Reactions: schlotz
Yup it was and with JB's Red Dirt Road which supplies a bit of heat. The second rub had always been A1's Sweet Mesquite but they stopped making it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Ribs look good. I have a friend that grills his ribs covered with Tabasco in the beginning. I not a fan of Tabasco but after the ribs are done they really taste good. I have tried this on other stuff and after it cooks off leaves a pretty good flavor.

Was wondering about that, but for me tabasco has such a unique flavor that any residual would be off putting in what I'm expecting for smoked ribs. Seems as though I run into more and more rubs that miss the mark vs hitting it. Most are crazy with the salt which I personally think should be left out so the consumer can add it based upon their own preference. Still, I'd rather toss a rub vs go blindly forward only to discover a finished product I do not like. Maybe I'm too picky.... :emoji_thinking:

Ribs look great Matt .
Shame you had to throw out the rubs , but a good choice .
I had one from a throw down prize . When I did the wet finger test is was over whelming with celery seed and I think paprika . Terrible . I saved it , and at a later date used it mixed in with a proven rub . Fail . Even the little bit I added was way strong with the celery . Just bitter and weird .

Still, I'd rather toss a rub vs go blindly forward only to discover a finished product I do not like. Maybe I'm too picky.... :emoji_thinking:
I'm like you.....I'll finger test it before I use it. I'd rather toss $10 rub vs a rack of ribs i've smoked all day and expecting to eat.

Jim

Ribs look good. I have a friend that grills his ribs covered with Tabasco in the beginning. I not a fan of Tabasco but after the ribs are done they really taste good. I have tried this on other stuff and after it cooks off leaves a pretty good flavor.
I dont like reg tabasco, but Im a huge fan of their chilpolte tabasco. Id be willing to test out a rack of ribs using that as a binder!

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks folks, glad to hear I'm not out there in left field.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky