Resting times for turkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

robby6pack

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2017
I am smoking a bird this year. I haven't got the bird, so can't tell you how much it weighs. My question isn't with smoking the bird, but rest time and "storage" until lunch. I always like it when I have to delay lunch/dinner for a little bit until the meat is done and rested. That way I know things are DONE and still hot. Beef and pork are easy if they are finished way before the meal, because I wrap it and put it in an Ice Chest. What about Turkey? I take mine out around 162 and let it rest and have had birds rise to 168. What happens when it's done early? Same thing, put it in an Ice Chest wrapped? I will try to time things right, but you guys know how this goes, it's ready when its ready.

I like to use thermal bags for resting meat. They are so cheap they are almost disposable. I pop the meat in the bag and wrap the bag in a towel. You can find thermal bags at the grocery store. If I'm at Dollartree I pick up a few. I'm sure they are the same bags, since they look just the same except for the lack of store branding printed on the bag.

I cover my smoked birds with HD foil, then a bunch of old towels for insulation. I rarely start carving in less than an hour because the thing is just too dang hot. Usually it is between 2-3 and the bird is still too hot to touch barehanded. I rarely smoke a bird that's less than 15-16 lbs. 18-20 lbs is my favorite range. The skin will soften up a bit. It doesn't get rubbery, just isn't as crispy.

I've read that birds rested longer before carving are juicier. There might be some truth to that claim.

Here's a hint if you're going to brine a bird; add one teaspoon of pink curing salt to your brine. The barest hint of ham taste it adds to the meat goes well with the smoke and the turkey. It doesn't cure the meat by any means, but people go absolutely NUTS over the flavor. I do that little trick with all poultry I brine, not just turkeys.

I'm smoking a 14lb whole turkey for our gathering this Thanksgiving. I've got the timeline down to pulling the bird at 1PM, put it in a foil pan and cover/seal with foil. That will go into a cooler with towels on top for a 40 minute drive to the venue. So it will rest 60-75 minutes before carving.

Does that sound about right or any suggestions? One thing I wonder about is the skin - I realize sealing in foil with soften it - what about poking a few small holes in the foil? Or would that defeat the purpose of having a moist bird?

Crispy Skin is out of the question with any kind of covering. Trapped steam is your enemy. Yes, the skin will be bite through tender and tasty, not leathery, but will never be that crisp skin you get resting on the counter, 30 minutes uncovered, before carving...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky