Regular charcoal grill vs MB Gravity

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmayway

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 13, 2011
Lancaster PA
Do you guys that have the Gravity Series find that you get the same kind of direct hear that you would cooking directly over coals? I know it gets hot enough on the grates, but with the heat off to the side it seems you would lose some of the benefit of cooking right over coals. Or am I missing how they work and it's the same?

I'm interested in these. But one of our favorite things on charcoal is "pit style" chicken that benefits from being directly over coals. Can these do the same?

I don't have 1 but being fan forced I doubt you would loose any heat and can achieve higher temps due to the fan working like a forge furnace, max temp is set at a certain limit to keep from damaging the unit but don't know what that is.

I have one and the heat is distributed evenly. The charcoal flavor is there and with wood chunks the smoke flavor is there also. This grill will get hot very quickly. When reverse searing steaks it will go from 225 degrees to 600 degrees in a short period of time. When the temp is cranked up the fan kicks in at high speed. So much fan speed that it is blowing sparks off of the charcoal.

I've not cooked steaks on mine yet, where do you set the temp?
It would seem that with the lid open, the temp sensor won't heat up and the fan will just blow full speed the whole time the lid is open.
I like to grill burgers 3 minutes per side over charcoal that is glowing hot (not sure of the exact temp, but HOT HOT HOT) so full fan speed would probably work well.

You set the temp with the dial on the controller. At temps 500 and over the fan will cut out when you open the lid for safety purposes.

Does anyone miss having a two-zone fire? I suppose the upper rack is cooler and might be used like the cool side of two-zone fire?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky