Ref; Pork Butt Ham/Tasso

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

TomKnollRFV

Master of the Pit
Original poster
May 19, 2018
Neenah WI
So I'm sort of wondering here about this...I got two pork butts due to the Kroger Sale, and originally I was gonna debone, hack one up, more buckboard bacon..but it got me thinking of other things and all.

Every thing I've read explains Tasso is really a spicy stew meat, but is cured like ham? Is there any one out there with a step by step to a salty sweet classic ham..but from a pork butt bone in?

I don't know about a step by step, but it certainly has been done. I did a quick search for " butt ham" and got more results than I care to read. Foamheart just posted one the other day, I think.

I don't know about a step by step, but it certainly has been done. I did a quick search for " butt ham" and got more results than I care to read. Foamheart just posted one the other day, I think.
Really? Ha I was relying on google and there wasn't much. I suppose I shoulda just used the forum search engine!

Alot of the google ones are just some like 2014 and weren't to helpful when I searched. Maybe Foamy can walk me through this entirely, or at least get me confident enough to try it.

Tasso is a super spiced cure meat. Nothing like ham. Made to use as a flavoring meat in a dish.

Well, I had a bucket that fit in my lil fridge, but not a cover for it..so I taped another cover to it. Just had to push the pork butt down a bit in the bucket to get things to fit with the plate on top etc etc..but here we go..Thanks to Foamheart I got a pork butt ham curing!

Attachments

• 20180911_121237.jpg
    20180911_121237.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180911_114853.jpg
    20180911_114853.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 5
View attachment 376784
Tom,
I’ve used this recipe before and no curing involved. Very simple really and oh so good.
A Chef John folse recipe
The next time I get an oversupply of pork butt I'll have to try it. Just not sure what I'd end up using Tasso in..beans for sure I suppose. Family isn't big on Cajun cooking except me.

18 Days in the brine as per Foamheart's isntructions and I pulled her a bit ago and rinsed and patted down.

Not sure how sticky it was meant to be, but it was. <I mean there is alot of sugar in there>. So tommorrow I plan to toss it in the smoker. Fortunately I just got my shipment of Lumberjack BBQ Pellets to boot.

Attachments

• 20180928_100336.jpg
    20180928_100336.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 5
I’ve been making my own Tasso for a couple of years for myself and a couple of friends who are from LA, mainly because it’s hard to source outside of LA and shipping costs are frequently excessive. I use the butts, cut in slices as described above, maximizing exposure of the meat to the spices, which is kind of the point of this meat. I usually cure the slices first, like I would for Canadian Bacon. Because of how thin the slices are, it takes very little time on the smoker. Once done, I cut them up into smaller pieces of 4-6 oz., then vacuum pack and freeze. As cfarmer mentioned above, it is used primarily as a seasoning meat, meaning, it is added to other foods to enhance the flavor, like adding bacon, or smoked ham hocks, except it’s spicy. It’s used commonly in gumbos, soups/stews, vegetable dishes like beans/peas/Hoppin’ John, atop grilled oysters, and in particular I enjoy it in Tasso Gravy served with Shrimp and Grits. I believe it is also served cold on buffets or on top of appetizers or hors d’eouvres. One butt made this way gives me enough for a year with enough to give some away. Like BBQ rubs, there are numerous variations on the recipes, according to your tastes. Since it is an added ingredient, I go lightly with the cayenne, because more can always be added, and if I make it too spicy, it might be too much heat for the particular recipe being made. It’s a useful smoked meat, adding quite a bit of flavor, and if packaged in the right amount, is very convenient to use. I hope this is helpful in addition to the comments provided above.

Reactions: TomKnollRFV
I’ve been making my own Tasso for a couple of years for myself and a couple of friends who are from LA, mainly because it’s hard to source outside of LA and shipping costs are frequently excessive. I use the butts, cut in slices as described above, maximizing exposure of the meat to the spices, which is kind of the point of this meat. I usually cure the slices first, like I would for Canadian Bacon. Because of how thin the slices are, it takes very little time on the smoker. Once done, I cut them up into smaller pieces of 4-6 oz., then vacuum pack and freeze. As cfarmer mentioned above, it is used primarily as a seasoning meat, meaning, it is added to other foods to enhance the flavor, like adding bacon, or smoked ham hocks, except it’s spicy. It’s used commonly in gumbos, soups/stews, vegetable dishes like beans/peas/Hoppin’ John, atop grilled oysters, and in particular I enjoy it in Tasso Gravy served with Shrimp and Grits. I believe it is also served cold on buffets or on top of appetizers or hors d’eouvres. One butt made this way gives me enough for a year with enough to give some away. Like BBQ rubs, there are numerous variations on the recipes, according to your tastes. Since it is an added ingredient, I go lightly with the cayenne, because more can always be added, and if I make it too spicy, it might be too much heat for the particular recipe being made. It’s a useful smoked meat, adding quite a bit of flavor, and if packaged in the right amount, is very convenient to use. I hope this is helpful in addition to the comments provided above.
Living in WI alot of southern dishes <like shrimp and grits> just aren't made here..or well, seafood is expensive, another reason I don't make it. I might still try it some day though, especially if I find out I'd just snack on it like a mad man.

Even without seafood being easily available, it’s excellent in bean soup, and many gumbos are made without seafood using chicken, duck, turkey, and sausage. Great cold weather food.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky