RecTec bull horn handles, can they be changed?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Alphonse

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 1, 2019
Gulf Coast Alabama
I have a friend who is studying pellet grills.

He is leaning toward RecTec but he doesn't like the cheesey bull horn handles on the lid. (I don't either.)

Has anyone changed them out? What is possible with that?

Reactions: jmtyndall
Any handle will work as long as the holes line up. It's a bolt on...
Screenshot (15).png

Last edited:
I like them, but I didnt buy it for the handles, I bought it to cook and smoke meat which it does extremely well with or without the horn handles. I sure as h**l woundnt choose a different brand based on the handle shape. that would be a fatal error in judgement.

if he needs to change them out, do so. but dont let him miss out on such a great grill over a piece that has no affect on performance.

Reactions: ozzz and Blues1
Some people want the grill to look good, especially since there are plenty of other options that perform about the same. It's just a pellet grill. I'm also of the opinion that the horns look dumb.

Yes I'd noticed that Rec Tec customers are rather cultish for a mid range pellet grill. Mak owners do the same thing but they're not quite as bad, especially since a Mak is a top tier grill.

I always though the horns were a little dumb too. Now that I have one, I find them very comfortable to use. I don't really see them as horns any more. For the money, a Rec Tec is the best mid price grill you're gonna get. To spend another $1500 for a handle and virtually identical food, well, that's another topic for another thread..........

Reactions: sandyut
Never thought I'd see a thread about this but I admit I am not into the look of the RecTec. Same goes for the big old stick burners most guys drool over. Not for me. But the award of the most ugly smokers are the egg types. :emoji_laughing:

Last edited:
oh man, on the rec tec forum there was a thread about which direction people put the horns in...I wont comment as it wouldn't be appropriate enough.

I do think its funny that the handle shape could be such a consideration. It never crossed my mind. as mentioned above they are quite functional. It is unique and set them apart from others for sure.

As i said above - i didn't by the unit for the handles. Bought it for the kick a** pellet grill that it is.

oh man, on the rec tec forum there was a thread about which direction people put the horns in...I wont comment as it wouldn't be appropriate enough.

I do think its funny that the handle shape could be such a consideration. It never crossed my mind. as mentioned above they are quite functional. It is unique and set them apart from others for sure.

As i said above - i didn't by the unit for the handles. Bought it for the kick a** pellet grill that it is.
I second this!

When I bought it I almost replaced them as well. I think they are corny. I mocked up parts I would use and then I stopped caring. The grill sits covered when not in use so I don’t really see them. Doesn’t seem worth it anymore.

Any handle will work as long as the holes line up. It's a bolt on...View attachment 441977
In line with this, if your friend or neighbors have simple wood working tools then it's not too hard. I made a handle for an old Traeger recently. If I had a RecTec I'd do the same because the horns are tackier than a rainbow fanny pack full of....moving on!

I got some 1x2 Oak stock, cut it down to size and put a 3/4" roundover on the long sides for comfort. Clamp it to the grill lid and mark the hole positions then drill for hardware that matches the hole in the grill. Then bought some 3" long carriage bolts, 1-1/2" seamless steel spacers, washers and nuts. Put the carriage bolt into the wood, then a washer, then the spacer. Put the bolts through the lid of the smoker, then put the nuts on. New handle done, if it takes 2 hours, you're drinking too many beers while you work! Stain, paint or otherwise finish as you see fit.

As for the second hole it looks like is in the grill, I'd take one of the bolts that it comes with ton the hardware store and find a nut that fits. Put the bolt through the hole and use the nut to hold it in place just to plug the hole.

PS: The spacers are like these, my local ACE has an amazing hardware selection and I found them there. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...nner-dia-x-5-8-in-outer-dia-x-1-1-2-in-length

Reactions: Alphonse and Blues1
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky