Recipe for Mexican pork in red sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I bought a small pork butt and want to cube it and cook in a red sauce using dried chili's. Anyone have a recipe to share?

I've done pork in a tomato based sauce with fresh,dried,pickled and powdered chilis of all varieties.Some diced red onion some lime/lemon juice.Something fresh from the garden if ready.I really just kinda wing it and work with what's on hand.

I bought a small pork butt and want to cube it and cook in a red sauce using dried chili's. Anyone have a recipe to share?
Which type of chilies do you have? New Mexico, Guajillo, California, or Chile de árbol?

This is gonna be a long post.:emoji_joy::emoji_joy::emoji_joy:

Basically, you want to char the chili pods over an open flame, a gas bbq grill works great but you could char them over a gas stove burner too it will just take a lot longer. Char the chilies slightly you don't want them blackened. After they are charred and cool enough to handle break the stem end of the chilies off and shake the seeds out. Peel and char 1-2 white onions and a bulb of garlic and set aside. Once you seed the chilies place them into a glass or Stainless steel bowl and cover them with boiling water until they are soft. Once they are soft drain them using a colander but save the liquid and set it aside.

Next you want to use a food processor or blender to pulverize the chilies, onions and garlic use the water you drained off the chilies. You can add more or less depending on how thick you want your sauce to be.

Once you have them processed down you then want to cook the sauce down. In a heavy stainless steel pot heat up 1/4 cup give or take of vegetable oil or lard then add 2-4 cups of the chili sauce to the hot oil and mix it around for a few seconds then pour it into a clean bowl. Do this until you have cooked all the sauce. Then add salt to taste. This is a very basic chili sauce very similar to this.
1598363377162.png

Personally I add ground sesame seeds, annatto paste,bay leaves,black pepper,pumpkin seed and raw peanuts to the chili sauce before I cook it down, it just adds way more depth to the sauce.
That is how I was taught but it still taste great without all the goodies.

Are you sure you want to do this? You can get a fantastic chili sauce by adding a charred onion or two and a bulb of garlic to a few cans of Los Palmas sauce then cook it down a little in hot oil like mentioned above. I add a tea spoon of sugar or honey after the sauce is cooked down, it helps get rid of the bitterness of the red chilies. After it's all cooked down in the oil add it back into a S.S. pot and simmer it on low for an hour or more. The more it is simmered down the more depth it develops. I know people that simmer their chili sauce overnight or more. The Mexican lady that taught me how to make this sauce owned a very well known Mexican restaurant near me. I had to beg her for her recipe.
She said there is no recipe she just makes it. So she invited me too her house the next time she made it to show me how she makes it. It's very simple but it takes forever to make it.
I often cheat by cooking down a #10 can of LasPalmas sauce and it is very good, just not nearly as good as her sauce, I just hate making her sauce. Really the only time I make it is when I make a huge batch of tamales or trays of enchiladas once or twice a year.

Good luck.
Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Perfect. Thanks. I really want to try to make myself. Going to try to keep some what low carb. I will also look for that sauce to keep on hand when go get chili's at Fiesta Mart. Guess better get some Red Fish while there.

Reactions: forktender
I'm with Dan,
there are a few good commercial chile sauces available, Las Palmas is one, Herdez is another.
But if you have the time and kitchen gadgets to make it easier, then a homemade sauce that isn't too complex but with a lot of depth is awesome.

I tend to cheat I keep pure, ground chile powders on hand, Ancho, Arbol, Guajillo, Chipotle, and Hatch green/red.
Along with Annato powder/paste, Mexican oregano and Sazon seasoning blends.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, damn I'm about forgot.

I have made red sauce a few times from scratch and keep getting better but I have to second the "cheat" method using powders and or even store bought. Tried a few store bought and La Victoria is our go to.

A side note, on vacation last year we went to a Tex Mex joint and their red sauce was INSANELY good. So good I DM the owner on FB. Strangely, the guy responded and gave me some hints of which one was smoked onions. I have been meaning to try that.

You can also try this one done as just the sauce and add any meat.

Thanks everybody. You guys are great. Nice pictures jcam222 jcam222 . At some point want to use the smoker. Thinking maybe put the pork chunks on slow smoke for a while than maybe finish everything in smoker for a bit. I usually read several recipes when I making something than just go do it. Will use all the input and come up with something.

Reactions: jcam222
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky