Questions about resting your butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kelbro

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Mar 22, 2009
N. Carolina
If my pork butt gets done a few hours before serving time, how long can I rest it in a cambro?

How long can I rest it at 150 without it degrading?

If I'm going to do that, do I want to take it all the way to 200 first or back off a little like say around 190?

Reactions: JLeonard
I take it til its probe tender. Wrap in foil and let it sit on counter for about 30 min. Then I put it in a old coleman cooler wrapped in old beach towels. 6 hours later its still above 150 degrees and almost too hot to hand pull. I've done this and traveled to my Families place in arkansas many times.

Jim

I think it’s best to take it to probe tender then rest on the counter uncovered until IT comes down to the 160-170 range then cover and into the 150* hold. A lot of big restaurants hold at 150* for up to 24 hours. They smoke tomorrow’s meat today.

I always run them up to 203-205* whenever they hit probe tender. Then wrap in foil (if I didn’t wrap already) and wrap in towels and put in a cooler. I’ve done this for up to 4 hours. It comes out just as hot as it was when I take them off the smoker. I don’t know if I would let it cool off then wrap it

I always run them up to 203-205* whenever they hit probe tender. Then wrap in foil (if I didn’t wrap already) and wrap in towels and put in a cooler. I’ve done this for up to 4 hours. It comes out just as hot as it was when I take them off the smoker. I don’t know if I would let it cool off then wrap it
He is going into a 150* cambro I assume it’s heated electric. A holding cabinet. If the cabinet is not self heating then I agree with your method and don’t cool. That way has worked for many of us for the longest time. But if the cabinet is self heating I would cool first.

Reactions: JLeonard and kelbro
Thanks all. I've never held a pork butt for over an hour or so. Church social is in the afternoon so I'll smoke it overnight and hold it (foil wrapped) in the roaster.

He is going into a 150* cambro I assume it’s heated electric. A holding cabinet. If the cabinet is not self heating then I agree with your method and don’t cool. That way has worked for many of us for the longest time. But if the cabinet is self heating I would cool first.

Sorry I wasnt saying your method wasn’t good but sure what a Cambro is I was just saying I have rested them for a long time wrapped with good results. I actually plan ahead to have them done ahead of time just to let them rest.

Sorry I wasnt saying your method wasn’t good but sure what a Cambro is I was just saying I have rested them for a long time wrapped with good results. I actually plan ahead to have them done ahead of time just to let them rest.
Yep, I've had plenty of briskets still over 140 after 6 hrs wrapped in a tight styrofoam cooler. I don't do near as many butts and think that I'm pushing that envelope time-wise on this cook and don't want to chance it.

Reactions: JLeonard
Yep, I've had plenty of briskets still over 140 after 6 hrs wrapped in a tight styrofoam cooler. I don't do near as many butts and think that I'm pushing that envelope time-wise on this cook and don't want to chance it.
Butts are much more forgiving. Just roll with it, you will be good.

Reactions: kelbro and JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky