Questions about hot and fast brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrob22

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
Texas
Who all has done hot and fast brisket and also what temp do you cook at? I've seen online anywhere from 300 to 400 degrees. Also what are the downsides or doing hkt and fast vs low and slow? Any tips for doing this? Thinking about giving it a go this weekend

Thanks!

At home I cook brisket between 250° and 275° and find the window of control is a little broader. I've done hot and fast briskets in the 300° range for competitions, but the trimming is very deliberate so they cook evenly, to get natural looking slices and I use commercial injections. Some competition cooks do go higher on temp. It's almost like grilling it for 90 minutes then wrapping and cooking it tender.

Here is a trimmed up point and a flat below.
hPEpFJT.jpg
CfY5Ll4.jpg

I run mine at 180 for an hour or two then 275 till probe tender.

275 is the low end of hot and fast, a 14lb unit will take 10/12 hours.
325/375 is the real hot and fast, and cuts cook time pretty much in half.
I've done both and even a few that went 24/26 hours at 225 and I'm a big fan of 350.
However I must add that I crave a thick dark bark with tons of salt and cracked pepper.

275 is the low end of hot and fast, a 14lb unit will take 10/12 hours.
325/375 is the real hot and fast, and cuts cook time pretty much in half.
I've done both and even a few that went 24/26 hours at 225 and I'm a big fan of 350.
However I must add that I crave a thick dark bark with tons of salt and cracked pepper.
Does the hot and fast give it a better bark?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky