Questions about beef rib trim

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worm304

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
IMG_20180324_190102.jpg
IMG_20180324_190131.jpg
2 questions.
Should I pull the last bit of membrane off these that would essentially expose the bare bone?

Should I trim any fat off the top?

Thanks!!!!

Trimming fat is a personal choice. Looks like the ribs are already trimmed to 1/4" or less and much of that will render but some, heavily seasoned and browned, will remain. If that is something you enjoy? Leave it. If not trim to expose the leaner meat. That membrane is what holds the muscle to the bones and not as tough as the membrane that, we remove from Pork Ribs, that envelopes the organs. If it does not get crisp enough for you to eat, it can easily be removed after smoking...JJ

IMG_20180324_205052.jpg
Thanks! This is my second go at beef ribs so I just wanted to double check. Going in the WSM shortly! Will update in a qview thread!

That is a really nice looking rack of ribs!
Al
Thanks al! I hope they come out looking just as good. Does anyone feel like these are plate ribs? They are much bigger than the shorts I have attempted before but yet the butcher seems to still be lost when im talking about plates. Funny thing is I called before I went and they claimed they had plates. I don't know what to think any more .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky