Question regarding the 40-140 rule

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dan ritchie

Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
Ok, I'm new to smoking as this is only my third time so I apologize for being a newbie.  I'm worried I went past the 40-140 rule but my question is wouldn't cooking it to 160 kill anything anyways regardless of an hour or 2 over?  I don't know if I should be concerned or not.  Also does that rule apply to internal or external temperature I can't seem to find a solid answer to that question.  Thanks, also I am smoking venacin..

If you are talking about an intact piece of meat.

Which would be not ground or injected or rolled the 40-140 rule does not apply.

The rule refers to the internal meat temp in the thickest part.

If you have a shoulder & it takes 6 hours to get to 140 IT, that's OK if you didn't inject it.

If you have a loin that has been stuffed & rolled, it needs to get from 40-140 in less than 4 hours to be safe.

If you go over a half hour, I wouldn't worry.

A piece of meat that is intact is sterile inside, but when you inject it, it takes the bacteria from the surface & puts it into the sterile center.

That's why injected meat must adhere to the rule.

Hope this helps.

Also would you swing by "Roll Call" & introduce yourself so we can all welcome you to SMF!

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky