Question on smoking two different cuts of Boston Butt...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rcp44

Original poster
Jun 10, 2018
So I've got two cuts of Boston Butt. One is about five pounds, no bone. The other is about six pounds, bone in. I'm planning on putting the meat thermometer on the five pounder, and then moving it to the bone in cut. Is there any danger in doing this? Is there any way the bone in cut would get done before the other?

Thanks in advance!

That's an interesting question. I know that the meat around a bone is usually more rare around a bone when doing high temp short cook, but a pork butt is a long, long cook so the temps should even out.

Initial thought is any difference would be due to size, 5lb v 6lb. Tie the 5lb to maintain its shape. I would guess the 5lb will get done a bit quicker but that really shouldn't be a big issue. It can just rest a bit longer in the cooler.

I doubt you will be able to tell any difference. But, who knows? My biggest issue was the juiciness of the pulled pork. I now use rub infused chicken broth or one of the finishing sauces listed on the site.

If the concern is moisture marinate the butt in a solution of 3/4 cup pickling salt, 8 oz molasses and 2 quarts of water in a 2.5 gal ziplock bag for 12-15 hrs in the fridge. See recipe in sig below.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky