Question about vision grill and Smartfire temp control

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flareman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Manassas, VA
Hi everyone, quick question about my vision grill and Smartfire temp controller. I’m smoking an 8lbs brisket flat with lump charcoal and about 5 apple wood chunks. The temp controller is set to 225 which it maintained for about 5 hours and then shot up. I’m guessing this is due to some of the wood chunks catching, but I’m not sure - any thoughts? Second, for anyone who uses a temp controller, do you keep the top vent wide open, or keep it mostly closed as you would when controlling the temp without the Smartfire? Thanks!

Hi everyone, quick question about my vision grill and Smartfire temp controller. I’m smoking an 8lbs brisket flat with lump charcoal and about 5 apple wood chunks. The temp controller is set to 225 which it maintained for about 5 hours and then shot up. I’m guessing this is due to some of the wood chunks catching, but I’m not sure - any thoughts? Second, for anyone who uses a temp controller, do you keep the top vent wide open, or keep it mostly closed as you would when controlling the temp without the Smartfire? Thanks!
I’m following to see the answers. I have a Vision Kamado but have never used it for long cooks. Interested in doing so in the future. I use it solely to grill right now.

I use a temp controller on my Vision-B. I close the top vent almost all the way. I'm pretty sure I could close it completely because I have leaks around the lid gasket and vent gasket. Maybe the top vent being opened too much contributed to the temp spike, but I'm not sure. I've never tried setting the temp that low. I usually set mine for 265 or higher.

I’m following to see the answers. I have a Vision Kamado but have never used it for long cooks. Interested in doing so in the future. I use it solely to grill right now.
I’ve used it for both. Love it for grilling steaks (very high heat). Still seeing how I feel about long smokes. The BBQ has been good, but I feel like it requires a lot of babysitting - maybe I’m still getting used to it.

I’ve used it for both. Love it for grilling steaks (very high heat). Still seeing how I feel about long smokes. The BBQ has been good, but I feel like it requires a lot of babysitting - maybe I’m still getting used to it.
I could not really get the hang of lower slow smokes with it. May try adding a Fireboard fan and give it a go for smaller smokes. I LOVE it for grilling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky