Question about multiple butts...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jeremyfsu

Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Cary, NC
I plan to smoke 2 Boston Butts this weekend. I've had much success with cooking them at 1.5 hours per pound. My question is, since I am doing 2 separate butts, do I still go 1.5 hours per pound for the total weight, or just the weight of one? I guess if I have to 8 pound butts, should I expect it to take 12 hours (8*1.5) or 24 hours (16*1.5)? My guess is it may be more like 2 hours per pound or about 16 hours. I wouldn't mind that much if we didn't have company coming over, so I would like to know when I should start them.

Thanks!!

12, they may go little longer, it will take some more fire but not much, just watch cuz it may drag your temps down faster than what you may expect. And remember the 1.5 is just a guide line ,check temps in both butts, one may be done earlier.

AND FSU just happens to be may faverite after i get done bleeding BLACK and GOLD.

I should not take much longer than doing one butt. The smoker will run cooler if you don't watch it because of more meat mass absorbing heat. I did 4 butts yesterday (sorry no pics) and I needed to watch the heat. each piece of meat was different because of the age of the pig and the amount of connective tissue. Yesterday's fastest butt was 11 hours and the slowest was 13 hours.

Hope this helps!

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Go by temperature not by time. Once the meat absorbs the heat and come back up to temperature you should be fine. I find it only adds a few extra minutes maybe 30 for a full smoker.

It all depends on what else is in the smoker. If the smoker isn't packed I think you will be around the 1.5 per lb mark. Just make sure you leave plenty of room around the meat for even air and smoke circulation.

You'll need to keep track of the internal temps on both pieces of meat as every one is different, even if they are the same weight!

Excellent!! Thanks for all the help...it will only be the 2 butts in the smoker, so it shouldn't be too bad...you guys/girls rock!!

Can't wait for the real football season to start...not that NFL stuff (I love football and will watch NFL, but think the competition/excitement is better in college). FSU has a revamped coaching staff, so we will soon see if Jeff Bowden was the issue or not (my guess is he was).

Just keep Micky Andrews in gum and Bobby i hart pills and they"ll be fine.

icon_mrgreen.gif
you hope

I'm looking forward to 4 in a row.
PDT_Armataz_01_20.gif

Back on subject, do you have a digital temp probe??

Sure do have a probe...may get another one today. Also, I agree cooking by temp. is the way to go...I just use the 1.5 hours as a guide to start it. I then take the advice of others on here and wrap in a towel and put it in a cooler for an hour or so...that just makes it all fall apart!

Also, re: the new coaches, I think we will be fine...Jimbo is a great QB coach/OC, we also brought back "The Chest", along with a bunch of other FSU players...FYI, Terrell Buckley was also recently added to the staff...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky