Question about BBQ Guru fan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

derek712

Original poster
Nov 13, 2010
Near Sioux City Iowa
I am building a 250 gal center fired RF smoker and thinking on adding a bbq guru. My question is if I add the guru do I still have to have the other intakes? Was going to make two 4"x10" intakes but not if i wont need them.

Technically no, but you will run into other issues...

What if your guru goes down or your fans die or you dont have power?  Then you will need the air-inlets.  I run mine on 2x 25CFM fans, and leave the dampeners closed, but when I had to part out for my boss's system, I was only running on 1 fan, and had to have some of my inlets open a little (not much, just enough).

Also, built your inlets on multiple sides of the smoker.  That way it can get air from most wind directions, and not just 1 (a problem we had with my boss's smoker too).

Thanks Hogie. Yeah good points so I will put them in. How do you like the guru? Do you have to monitor the temps much or can you leave it unattended for a bit. Do they keep the temps steady?

I have run mine with and without the guru, and it does seem to help keep stuff steady.  You might get spikes after new fuel, but smaller fuel help that.

My dad wants me to change his small reverse flow (was a chargrill offset smoker from Albertsons before I got done modding it) to work with the guru now too because of how little "work" I have to do to tend the fire.  But you should always have someone near by for the unexpected.

Since my smoker is still fairly new, I dont leave it alone much when it is going.  I do average about every 45-60 minutes on putting more fuel in, but then again, I do smaller stacks compared to what other people seem to do.

Just try to get the guru to point away from the ashes or you will be blowing them everywhere (a deflector up, etc... something where your fan inlets are).  My boss's was blowing a lot of ashes out during our last cookout when we opened the doors.

Technically no, but you will run into other issues...

What if your guru goes down or your fans die or you dont have power?  Then you will need the air-inlets.  I run mine on 2x 25CFM fans, and leave the dampeners closed, but when I had to part out for my boss's system, I was only running on 1 fan, and had to have some of my inlets open a little (not much, just enough).

Also, built your inlets on multiple sides of the smoker.  That way it can get air from most wind directions, and not just 1 (a problem we had with my boss's smoker too).
Hogie,  I'm looking at a guru for my homemade RF and I think i'm gonna need 2-25cfm fans, but I can't decide on which controller.  Any suggestions?  What did your guru setup cost if you don't mind me asking?  Thanks

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky