Putrid Pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chilerelleno

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Thursday bought a bunch of meat and other misc items from Costco.
Among those were two big, beautiful bone-in racks of Pork Loin, well today I opened them to prepare for tonight's dinner and one was STANKY!
So bad everyone downstairs was asking "WTH!?" within two minutes.
It was in a sealed cryovac bag, it looked good, but it was BAD!
So back to Costco I go with this double bagged hunk of putrid pork, it warmed up in the car and got even stinkier, so I get to Customer Service and lay this on the counter and everybody there turns within 30 seconds and is looking at me like I drug in a dead cat... Close enough.
The ladies there said, "Next time just take a picture, toss the meat in garbage, we don't ask questions."
But this loin looked just fine, but it was rank smelling.
Anyways... No questions, money back.

So I was requested to pickup a few things while I was there.
And as I'm cruising through I found brand new 20lb propane bottles on sale for $29.99 with a discount on the first fill.
Hell yeah, I've two old tanks rusted/beat up and almost out of date from their last certification, time to replace them.
So in the end it worked out good for me.

Oh yeah, who wants to see tonight's Rack of Pork Loin?

Last edited:
Thursday bought a bunch of meat and other misc items from Costco.
Among those were two big, beautiful Pork Loin Crown Roasts, well today I opened them to prepare for tonight's dinner and one was STANKY!
So bad everyone downstairs was asking "WTH!?" within two minutes.
It was in a sealed cryovac bag, it looked good, but it was BAD!
So back to Costco I go with this double bagged hunk of putrid pork, it warmed up in the car and got even stinkier, so I get to Customer Service and lay this on the counter and everybody there turns within 30 seconds and is looking at me like I drug in a dead cat... Close enough.
The ladies there said, "Next time just take a picture, toss the meat in garbage, we don't ask questions."
But this loin looked just fine, but it was rank smelling.
Anyways... No questions, money back.

So I was requested to pickup a few things while I was there.
And as I'm cruising through I found brand new 20lb propane bottles on sale for $29.99 with a discount on the first fill.
Hell yeah, I've two old tanks rusted/beat up and almost out of date from their last certification, time to replace them.
So in the end it worked out good for me.

Oh yeah, who wants to see tonight's Pork Loin Crown Roast?
I bought ribs this past summer at our local Save a lot and had a similar experience they looked great. Opened them the next day and literally started gagging lol. Took them back and the manager started gagging haha. Told me the same thing. Next time just tell us we will trust you lol.

That is a smell you never forget or misinterpret opening future packs.
That's poorly trained employees putting meat they find in the Cereal Aisle, back in the meat case...JJ

Reactions: 73saint
Sad story. I have had that happen a couple times at Sam’s. They have always been good about it though.
Now let’s see that good rack!

Reactions: SmokinEdge
The last three times I've bought pork from our local Wal Mart it's been like that. First one was a big shoulder butt. Took it back and the goofy little nimrod girl behind the counter with lots of ink and piercings on her face had the audacity to blame me for it. She basically said people do that all the time: get their meat, spend a couple hours strolling around the store, then go to a half dozen other stores (in August no less), then bring the meat back when it goes south. Well, that really PO'd me because it's a 20 minute drive from Wally World to my house. Got my meat, immediately checked out, and the pork was back in the fridge in less than 25 minutes from the time I put it in the cart. The other two times it was much smaller pieces of pork and not worth the trip back into town. I should have stopped after the second time but needed pork a couple weeks ago and didn't want to brave the lines at Costco. I have no doubt it's just this Wal Mart and not an across-the-board problem but three strikes, they are definitely OUT.

Robert

The last three times I've bought pork from our local Wal Mart it's been like that. First one was a big shoulder butt. Took it back and the goofy little nimrod girl behind the counter with lots of ink and piercings on her face had the audacity to blame me for it. She basically said people do that all the time: get their meat, spend a couple hours strolling around the store, then go to a half dozen other stores (in August no less), then bring the meat back when it goes south. Well, that really PO'd me because it's a 20 minute drive from Wally World to my house. Got my meat, immediately checked out, and the pork was back in the fridge in less than 25 minutes from the time I put it in the cart. The other two times it was much smaller pieces of pork and not worth the trip back into town. I should have stopped after the second time but needed pork a couple weeks ago and didn't want to brave the lines at Costco. I have no doubt it's just this Wal Mart and not an across-the-board problem but three strikes, they are definitely OUT.

Robert
A pork butt wouldn’t go bad if left out for a couple hours anyway. It’s a large piece of meat. It’s not going to spoil in 2-3 hours being left out.

I had that happen to me with a pack of scallops from Giant, years ago.
I immediately threw it in the field out back, for the Coons & Coyotes.
Giant gave us "Double our money back" by their store policy.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky