Pulled Pork Question/Advice

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nojas76

Original poster
Feb 7, 2017
Hello All - wondering if I should be adding back in and of the rendered fat I collect when smoking a pork shoulder.  Right now I collect the fat and dripping, separate the fat from the dripping, discard the fat add back the drippings. 

Does anyone on here add back a little fat, and if so at what ratio?

Thank you.

Really your choice. I don't trim butts. They go in the pan, get smoked, pulled and mixed with some finishing sauce, all in the same pan. Rendered fat, meat juice and anything l add, all gets mixed together. Now NO, l don't invite my Cardiologist to dinner but then we only have pulled pork every other month or so. l don't sweat the fat. Enjoy the fat flavor just not too often and eat a salad tomorrow...JJ

Last edited:
I wrap in foil after about 4 hours and then cook until super tender and then let it rest for at least an hour in the foil. Once rested I take it out of the juice (in pieces because it no longer stays together.) and pull it in a separate vessel. I once pulled it in the juice and people complained it was way too fatty. Now they just say it's super juicy. lol

http://s10.photobucket.com/user/SxFxZ/media/2E32F988-80AE-4463-9A77-9F2C7230B12A.jpg.html

Last edited:
Really your choice. I don't trim butts. They go in the pan, get smoked, pulled and mixed with some finishing sauce, all in the same pan. Rendered fat, meat juice and anything l add, all gets mixed together. Now NO, l don't invite my Cardiologist to dinner but then we only have pulled pork every other month or so. l don't sweat the fat. Enjoy the fat flavor just not too often and eat a salad tomorrow...JJ
Same here....lol

I score the fat cap, then smoke it fat cap down, no wrapping.  I like the bark better that way. 

I always smoke over a pan to catch all the rendered fat.  I don't add the fat back to the meat though, but it makes the most incredible biscuit gravy.      

Last edited:
I pull mine and add the rendered juice back in. Any fat that is still unrendered I keep for flavoring beans or whatever else.

I don't like fatty bites in a pulled pork sandwich though. There is plenty of rendered fat in the meat itself when I'm done so I don't need the fatty bits for flavor.

I pull mine and add the rendered juice back in. Any fat that is still unrendered I keep for flavoring beans or whatever else.

I don't like fatty bites in a pulled pork sandwich though. There is plenty of rendered fat in the meat itself when I'm done so I don't need the fatty bits for flavor.
I usually pull out any larger chunks of unrendered fat (although, I confess to eating more than a few of them!). I always score the fat deeply, in a diamond pattern, so any pieces of unrendered fat are pretty small anyway...

Glad i read this. I am doing a couple pork shoulders friday for the weekend. The wife hates the fat mixed when we pull it. So i figured to catch the drippings and separate the juice off. Maybe I'll do 1 each way. And score.

I usually pull out any larger chunks of unrendered fat (although, I confess to eating more than a few of them!). I always score the fat deeply, in a diamond pattern, so any pieces of unrendered fat are pretty small anyway...
Don't think I've ever removed more than 5 or 6 ounces of fat from a pork butt. It's not like there's a ton of it left after cooking 8+ hours.

The butts l get, the interior fat renders, none visible. The cap fat is brown, crisp and covered in a tasty rub. Folks FIGHT to get a piece! Some time ago l drained the pan juices. There was only a couple Tablespoons of liquid fat. It was more trouble to skim it off than the impact it had on the overall fattiness of the pulled pork. I stopped removing it and nobody notices. I will guarantee BBQ restaurants are not removing fat from pulled pork , as they make no money on anything that goes in the garbage...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky