Pulled pork picnic roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I know I'm way off yet but my plan is to foil wrap it when I like the colour then put it back on the smoker. What IT should I pull it at? Well my plan is to unwrap, glaze with BBQ sauce then put back on for 30/45 minutes.
What IT should I be looking to unwrap/glaze and what IT to finally pull it?
Thanks all.
Here's how it's looking after second spritz at 4 hours.

I'm far from an expert but I usually pull my picnics at just over 200*. You should be in for some good eats with that,picnics always taste good. I don't do as many as I used to because, even though they're cheap, there's so much waste I'm probably better off buying butts. You should be in good shape, once you're over 190ish you could probably glaze and be set no matter what. Tough to screw up a shoulder. Some will be better than others but they'll all be good. I have had some very, verrrry, long smokes on picnics before. Record was close to 19 hours but it was still delicious.

Last edited:
Tasty looking pork! Nachos or potato skins are just a couple great options for leftovers!Thumbs Up

Looking great. Terrific first pulled pork!

I'm sorry to be late but I will throw my 2 cents in anyway. You need to cut the skin and as much fat as possible to get as much great tasting bark as possible. I waver back and forward between foiling when there is nice colour and not foiling at all. I like the texture of the pork when I foil and the bark is good but not great. When I don't foil, the texture of the pork is good but not as good as the foiled pork and the bark is great. I just can't make up my mind!

Point for a great first result.

Disco

Looking great. Terrific first pulled pork!

I'm sorry to be late but I will throw my 2 cents in anyway. You need to cut the skin and as much fat as possible to get as much great tasting bark as possible. I waver back and forward between foiling when there is nice colour and not foiling at all. I like the texture of the pork when I foil and the bark is good but not great. When I don't foil, the texture of the pork is good but not as good as the foiled pork and the bark is great. I just can't make up my mind!

Point for a great first result.

Disco
That why I think as soon as I can order some, I'm going to try the whole butcher paper thing...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky