Pulled pork for luncheon ... how long to smoke??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burghroots

Original poster
Aug 2, 2015
I'm making pulled pork in my MES for about 25 people for a luncheon. I have to leave to there about 9:30 a.m. and lunch will be served about noon. I have a large electric roaster to keep it hot at the venue.

I'm planning to start with 18 pounds on three racks. Will brine 36 hours then rub.

I was planning to put the meat in the pre-heated smoker about 9 the night before to smoke for 10 hours. I know I'll have to get up to add more chips a few times and I'll take it out to rest at 7:30 a.m. then pull and put in the roaster. When I do ribs it's always for dinner and I do them for 6 hours without opening the smoker and they fall off the bone.

I don't want it to be dry. Is that going to be long enough? Too long? Suggestions? Thanks!!

Couple of issues.

1.  You don't say the temp you plan to use to smoke the meat.  That's like asking "how long does it take to drive 200 miles."  Higher temp, less time.  Higher speed, less time. 

2.  18 lbs of meat?  Two 9 lb butts or three 6 lb butts?  Individual weight by piece is what matters, not total weight. 

Fill in the blanks to get best guidance.       

225, 3 butts. Sorry...did I leave anything else out?
At that size and temp 9-10 hours should do it, but you cant be sure so if you have a way to keep them warm i would go 12-14 hours and just hold them when you get about 200-205. when you shred put some of Chef Jimmy J's finishing juice/sauce (search bar top right corner) in the pans and that will keep moist. I mean with the extra time you can hold it warm but you cant cook it any more once its time to eat. Alternatively if you don't want the extra time consider 250-275 degrees as a cook temp. I routinely cook 275-295 esp for boston butt.

also unless you just love the flavor the 36 hour brine for a Boston butt sounds like an unnecessary step since they have fat running throughout the whole piece of meat and will render down and making the butt very moist. ( i usually cut off some fat before cooking) but hey if that is how you like them....its your food! 

Make sure to take some pics and show us how it came out

Good luck and Happy Smoking,

phatbac (Aaron)

Good point, I can skip the brining. I wish I didn't have to have it finished so long before it will be served but I didn't set the time of the meal. Thanks!!

I don't know were you are,or what size MES you are using.

Do it a day before so you can sleep and enjoy the luncheon IMHO I would do 5 to 6 hrs smoke and wrap finish in the oven 

just my 2 pennies

Richie

Reheat with JJs finishing sauce

The trick about pork butts is that they'll taste dry, tough, and overcooked if NOT cooked long enough.  If overcooked they are juicy but mushy, not dry tasting.  They get their juicy goodness and fall-apart tenderness from melted collagen.  I don't use an MES, so the MES guys will have to weigh in.  Take all the following as food for thought on your plan. 

On my WSM, an unwrapped pork butt at 225-250F chamber temp takes a minimum of 2 hrs per pound by roast size, but usually a little longer.  I will do 225F for 12 hours, then crank the chamber temp up to 300F.  A bone-in 8 lb'er at that chamber temp took 17.2 hours; a bone-in 9.2 lb'er took 19.5 hours, a bone-in 10.1 lb'er took 21.5 hours.  Since you have three 6 lb roasts, you're looking at 12 hours, unwrapped.

You could either smoke it longer than you have planned, or crank the temp up on the smoker to 250F or 275F.  I'd go 250F and plan on a 12 hour smoke.  If it takes longer, you'll have the time. If it is done a little earlier, keep it warm and you'll be fine.   

And yes, as the previous poster stated, do it the day before then reheat the meat in your roaster.  Trust me, it takes ALL the pressure off.

Last edited:
Ok, so if I do it the day before, how long will it take to reheat at what temperature? The roaster is 18 quart electric. I could heat up in the oven and transfer to the roaster if that's best.

Use your electric roaster. How long to reheat? Do a test. 18 lbs of raw meat will cook down to say 14 lbs. 4 quarts of water weight 8.35 lbs. Put 7 quarts of water in the roaster, set 250F, and see how long it takes to start to bubble, or get to the serving temp you want.

I will save you the Search. I use 1 Cup of finishing sauce for 8 pounds, raw weight, of butt. So for your gig, Quadruple the Sweet one, if using, or Double the Tangy Finishing Sauce. Add as needed. Thanks for the recommendation guys...JJ

Foiling Juice / Sweet Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar ( Highly Recommended! ) Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and
run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return
the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining
in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, skip the Butter.

If you plan to Foil the meat, add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.
Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.
At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.
Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten, the meat should be shiny and juicy but not swimming in sauce. Serve while hot...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.
If you choose to Not Foil or Pan the Butt. Add the Finishing Sauce to the pulled meat before serving. Add the hot Finishing Sauce a little at a time until the Pork is moistened, again the meat should be shiny but not swimming in sauce.
When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.
Makes 1 Cup.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. ENJOY...JJ

Tangy Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This is more of an Eastern North Carolina style Finishing Sauce...

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper
1 tsp Celery Salt
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Red Pepper Flake. Add more if you like Heat.
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ

Last edited:
I will save you the Search. Thanks for the recommendation guys...JJ

Foiling Juice / Sweet Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

Foiling Juice

For each Rack of Ribs Combine:

1T Pork Rub, yours
1/2 Stick Butter
1/2C Cane Syrup... Dark Corn Syrup...or Honey
1/4C Apple Cider...or Juice
1T Molasses

Optional: 2T Apple Cider Vinegar. Add 2T Mustard and 1/4C Ketchup to make it more of a KC Glaze.

Simmer until a syrupy consistency.
Allow to cool for 5 minutes, pour over foiled Ribs and
run your 2 hour phase of 3-2-1. For the last phase return
the ribs to the smoker BUT reserve any Juice remaining
in the Foil. Simmer the Juice over med/low heat to reduce to a saucy thickness. Glaze the Ribs for presentation or service.

For a Sweet Finishing Sauce for Pulled Pork: Make a Double batch, skip the Butter.

If you plan to Foil the meat, add 1/2 the batch to the Foil Pack or place it in a Pan with your Butt, when the IT hits 165*F.
Cover the pan with foil and continue to heat to 205*F for pulling.
At 205* rest or hold the Butt in a cooler wrapped in towels until ready to serve.
Pull the Pork and place it back in the pan with the pan Juices and any additional reserved Foiling Juice to moisten, the meat should be shiny and juicy but not swimming in sauce. Serve while hot...OR... Bag and refrigerate until needed.
If you choose to Not Foil or Pan the Butt. Add the Finishing Sauce to the pulled meat before serving. Add the hot Finishing Sauce a little at a time until the Pork is moistened, again the meat should be shiny but not swimming in sauce.
When re-heating place the Pulled Pork in a Pan or Crock pot and add reserved Foiling Juice or Apple Cider, as needed to make up the Juice that was absorbed while the pork was refrigerated. Cover and re-heat in a pre-heated 325-350*F oven or on High in the crock pot to 165*F and Serve.

I was AMAZED...No additional sauce needed. ENJOY...JJ

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
1 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

Combine all and whisk well. This is a thin sauce, bring just to a simmer and remove from heat. Adjust sweetness by adding Brn Sugar or additional Vinegar as desired...Makes about 2 Cups.

For a Lexington Style Dip add, 1/2C Ketchup and 1-3tsp Red Pepper Flakes...JJ
You need to write a cook book.

Maybe some day. Just a Note: l added some additional instructions as an edit to my post. Follow Post # 10...JJ

yeahthat.gif

2 C Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4C Brown Sugar
1T Smoked Paprika
2 tsp Granulated Garlic
2 tsp Granulated Onion
1 tsp Celery Salt
1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

I ALWAYS have a squirt bottle or two of this in my refrigerator.  When I make pulled pork, whether here at home or for others, I serve it with this finishing sauce.  I put all the ingredients in a blender then into a squirt bottle (2 actually), no simmering.  Just shake well before using.  Keeps a LONG time in the fridge.  My kids demanded the recipe this weekend with the pulled pork I served.  Which reminds me I've got to send it to them. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky