Pulled Chuck - Sous Vide & Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

normonster

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
deleted

Attachments

• 1 2lbs meat.JPG
    1 2lbs meat.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 852
  • 2 meat.JPG
    2 meat.JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 meat.gif
    3 meat.gif
    384.5 KB · Views: 855
  • 4 rub.gif
    4 rub.gif
    475.5 KB · Views: 868
  • 5 seal.gif
    5 seal.gif
    525 KB · Views: 867
  • 6 fold.gif
    6 fold.gif
    540.9 KB · Views: 870
  • 7 sealed.gif
    7 sealed.gif
    411.1 KB · Views: 856
  • 8 132.gif
    8 132.gif
    280.2 KB · Views: 852
  • 9 post sv.gif
    9 post sv.gif
    479.1 KB · Views: 858
  • 10 twine.gif
    10 twine.gif
    506 KB · Views: 862
  • 11 burgers first.gif
    11 burgers first.gif
    484.6 KB · Views: 854
  • 11 chicken too.gif
    11 chicken too.gif
    513.8 KB · Views: 859
  • 13 205.gif
    13 205.gif
    525.5 KB · Views: 850
  • 12 progress.gif
    12 progress.gif
    506.1 KB · Views: 851
  • 14 pulled.gif
    14 pulled.gif
    518.2 KB · Views: 859
  • 15 sauce.gif
    15 sauce.gif
    479.8 KB · Views: 848
  • 16 sauced.gif
    16 sauced.gif
    506.1 KB · Views: 853
  • 17 plated.gif
    17 plated.gif
    512.9 KB · Views: 852
  • 18 plated.gif
    18 plated.gif
    419.5 KB · Views: 845
Last edited:
Looks awesome. I will be doing this soon. You say the bark turned out good? Would you say it compares to a butt or chuck that was smoked the entire time?

That looks fantastic!
I have been doing it the opposite way, smoke then SV.
I'm going to have to give you way a try next time!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Looks great. I love a SV chuck roast to slice, but I think I will throw it on the smoker after for pulled beef. Care to share your hot mustard sauce recipe?

....Would you say it compares to a butt or chuck that was smoked the entire time?
Thank you! I didn't add as much rub as I would to a pork butt and what is added is partially removed by the juices in the SV bag, so the resulting bark is more like what you'd see on a rubless butt. Really good but not super thick.

That looks fantastic!
Al

Cheers Al! I haven't tried it smoke-to-sv but this way yielded some great pulled beef. This method is now on the list for me!! Thanks for the carousel ride too!!

Looks great. I love a SV chuck roast to slice, but I think I will throw it on the smoker after for pulled beef. Care to share your hot mustard sauce recipe?

Yeah, give it a try. I'm going to try the method with some other cuts soon myself.

That sauce is like a South Caroline Mustard BBQ but a basic version:

Gowd Teefs:
3/4 c yellow mustard
1/2 c distilled vinegar
1/2 c golden brown sugar
1/8 c lemon juice
*combine all in bowl

1 Tbs garlic powder
2 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp paprika
*combine in separate bowl

Transfer liquid mixture to a sauce pan, apply medium head, stir in dry mixture, bring to a simmer, simmer 5 minutes, flame out, transfer to a serving vessel.

Cheers! Sauce making is THE BEST THING EVER!!

sauce.JPG

Last edited:
Great looking pulled chuck and, especially, your plate Norm.

I noted your comment about 300* being as low as you can get your kettle to run.

Check out the :snake" or "fuse" method.

This pic is of that method in my Akorn, but I use the snake in my Weber kettle very often. It's easy to maintain 225* to 250* for 5 or 6 hours.

O61472Z.jpg

That looks amazing!!!! great looking plate / meal. Congrats on the Carousel as well.

Thanks AB. It is fun to see it on the front page! Cheers!

Cheers!
Thank you Jack! I have used that method before, but I got a slownsear so I'm getting money out of it!!! You can get it to stay lower if you fill it and only add 3 lit coals or so to one corner, but I use it to grill with usually right before. That and I also have a smoker that says low 'n sloooooooooozz..
Very nice cook and pics to do it justice.
Looks delicious.

LIKE!

Thank you Sir! Sometimes you gotta get a little beef fat on your phone...cuz beef.

:)

That looks fantastic!
Al

So I just got the anova and had a question about temps if you smoke first. This may sound like a stupid question but what temp do you smoke to? what temp do you set the sous vide for? and how long do you sous vide with lets say a chuck or brisket? Thanks!!

So I just got the anova and had a question about temps if you smoke first. This may sound like a stupid question but what temp do you smoke to? what temp do you set the sous vide for? and how long do you sous vide with lets say a chuck or brisket? Thanks!!

For a chuck or brisket I would smoke them to about 150 IT, then SV for 24 hours at 155 degrees.
No need to sear them unless you want to. Let them rest for 15 minutes & slice them up.
Al

For a chuck or brisket I would smoke them to about 150 IT, then SV for 24 hours at 155 degrees.
No need to sear them unless you want to. Let them rest for 15 minutes & slice them up.
Al
sounds good! I guess what I am having a hard time wrapping my head around is that we smoke a brisket to 200ish but sous vide only takes it to 155ish. Is that because the connective tissue breaks down with sous vide at a lower temp? Thanks!

Yes that is exactly right. This is the way I have been making pastrami the last 6 or 7 times & it is the best I have ever made. And it's always the same, no surprises. And you can time it to be done when you want it done.
Al

Yes that is exactly right. This is the way I have been making pastrami the last 6 or 7 times & it is the best I have ever made. And it's always the same, no surprises. And you can time it to be done when you want it done.
Al

smoking and sous vide combined. I am not sure what could be better! I can't wait to try it! Do you think it would make a difference to take it to the stall at around 160 and then set the sous vide for 165. Will that give a little more bark and smoke flavor?

smoking and sous vide combined. I am not sure what could be better! I can't wait to try it! Do you think it would make a difference to take it to the stall at around 160 and then set the sous vide for 165. Will that give a little more bark and smoke flavor?

What will give you more bark is doing it my way. :) SV -> Smoke.

You can try that, SV is new to all of us. Everyone is experimenting in doing it different ways, including temps & times.
My personal opinion is meat will not take on much smoked flavor after it has been cooked first. So once again this is my opinion, I would smoke it first, then SV it. If you want a thicker bark, use a torch to sear it off after the SV stage.
Al

I do not want to get into an argument over this, but it has been a well known fact that after meat reaches 140 IT, it doesn't absorb smoke as much as it does when it's cold. As I said SV is an experiment with most of us & it could be true that your method is the way to go. It's hard for me to change to your method when the way I do it works so well, & I'm sure you feel the same way about your method. It's hard to spend a couple of days cooking a piece of meat as an experiment, especially if you have done it one way & it works for you. So I will continue to do it my way as I'm sure you will do the same. Let some of the other guys try each method & see what they come up with.
Al

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky