Prep table ideas?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinGame

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 11, 2018
Sullivan, IN
I am getting too many toys on the deck (Camp Chef pellet, WSM, Weber gas grill & Blackstone griddle) which means lots of utensils, etc. when cooking. One thing I lack is some sort of prep table to hold stuff while cooking. Since I retired a few months ago and have all that free time (LOL), I have been considering building one. Anybody have good ideas or seen plans they like? I am not looking for anything massive, maybe 20" by 30". It will probably need to stay outdoors, except for winter.

I have seen some metal ones I really like, but the cost is little more than I want to spend. And plastic is just not my thing.

Metal prices have reached insane right now as well as other materials.

If you are looking to build yourself I would normally recommend UHMW but maybe LDPE would work and fit better with the budget.

McMaster is a great go to for most things.
Depending where you are located you might find local is cheaper.

I know you said plastic doesn't send you, but I'd do a metal base with a food grade LDPE top. Frame out the top with angle iron, and have a piece of LDPE that just drops in. Works as a cutting board, and easily removable for cleaning/replacement.

Reactions: TH-n-PA
From my experience LDPE is too soft for cutting.

UHMW is the material that works better/best but it is much more expensive.

We have two stainless steel prep tables, they have a lower shelf and are wheeled.
I find them to be one of the best purchases ever!
Built tough, easy to clean, easy to move around inside or out and they're big enough without being oversized and a PITA.
If they disappeared tonight I'd buy them again tomorrow, and damn the costs.

IMG_20210220_170151898_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Before time got away from me, I was planning on doing something similar to this, but was thinking of sheet metal for the surface to get the benefits of stainless table with reduced cost. Pressure treated is ideal, but I pick up scraps everywhere and just sand/prime/paint. A nice stain and marine poly would be nice too, but requires more maintenance for being outside unless you have a good cover. Anyway, this link should give you a good Starting point that’s easy to adjust for your needs!

I don't know the current chemistry of whatever they pressure treat wood with but it used to contain arsenic. I would never use it for a food contact surface. Even if arsenic is no longer used, the current chemistry can't be much better.
I'd be more tempted to make a pressure treated frame with a butcher block insert. Keep it covered or removed when not in use. Might be able to order a short section of butcher block counter top from Home Depot or such. Maybe get a drop from a counter installer ? Or make your own.

Before time got away from me, I was planning on doing something similar to this, but was thinking of sheet metal for the surface to get the benefits of stainless table with reduced cost. Pressure treated is ideal, but I pick up scraps everywhere and just sand/prime/paint. A nice stain and marine poly would be nice too, but requires more maintenance for being outside unless you have a good cover. Anyway, this link should give you a good Starting point that’s easy to adjust for your needs!

I have seen those plans and might use them as a starter. I was thinking about either cedar or pine with a good exterior coating.

I don't know the current chemistry of whatever they pressure treat wood with but it used to contain arsenic. I would never use it for a food contact surface. Even if arsenic is no longer used, the current chemistry can't be much better.
I'd be more tempted to make a pressure treated frame with a butcher block insert. Keep it covered or removed when not in use. Might be able to order a short section of butcher block counter top from Home Depot or such. Maybe get a drop from a counter installer ? Or make your own.

I am not a big fan of pressure treated for the reasons you mention. Have considered finding a "scrap" countertop composite for the top. Not sure I can find one large enough. Saw one idea where they used a couple of larger flooring/bathroom tiles to make the top. Not sold on that though.

I had the same dilemma. I wanted something that could hold my BlackStone. For both use and storage. And provide storage. I came up with this.
P7111058.jpg

And without knowing it at the time. This can also store the BlackStone and my Fyra Ooni oven. And still provide a work table.

P7111056.jpg

the current chemistry can't be much better.
There's a reason bugs won't eat it or bore into it .

I don't do food prep outside . Just not my thing , and the kitchen is set up for it and close to my out door cooking area . I can watch the grills and smokers for inside the house .
A good utility cart is a huge benefit . I have one made from metal studs and expanded metal . Between that and the table on my Performer it works out pretty good .
Nothing wrong with tile for a surface . Just do your stack dimension for the tile , and size the backer to that . That way you won't have to cut tile , or end up with a 1/2 " piece . Use an exterior grout , clear silicone to stick the tile .

I used to pretty up cut-offs from butcher block tops, and give them to some of my customers, when I built their Kitchens.

Bear

A buddy of mine bought a basic metal service cart from Harbor Freight and affixed his bamboo top to it.At the time it cost him less than $75.

Lol! I missed the boat on that one!
Lol , I remember , and yours looks fantastic . Easy thing to overlook , and not a big deal .
Just things you learn from doing it .
When ever I built Electrical closets , I always had the Electrician bring the cans over so I could make sure I had 3 ' 0 " between the face of the panel to the parallel wall in front .
Been retired 5 years and still think about that stuff .

Reactions: Steve H
a couple of years ago when we remodeled our kitchen i bought 2 work benches from harbor frieght and made an island by putting them together , when i bought them they each had 4 drawers, by putting them back to back it gives us 4 drawers on each side i sanded them and coated them with food grade polyurathane (lowes ) i wouldn't say they would be good for outside in the weather use , but we use these every day as they are heavy and well built and we can keep all of our meat processing tools in the drawers

Attachments

• 20210411_092332.jpg
    20210411_092332.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210417_094512_2.jpg
    20210417_094512_2.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky