Pork shoulder on WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dash86

Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Malden, MA
Trying to take advantage of the one day of sunshine we are getting this Memorial Day weekend and I’m smoking a pork shoulder. It’s about 8lbs, bone in, and it went on my Weber Smokey Mountain about 5:45 this morning. I used a mustard slather and a standard homemade rub with a brown sugar base. Blue bag charcoal and some apple wood chunks.

FBBF8E0F-C045-4377-BED7-A105D1C827E6.jpeg

DE4980A4-8F39-4A49-8AD4-394DF0731409.jpeg

F3E690CD-7ECA-4CAC-BCD0-4106531A6562.jpeg

779ABA30-E291-4297-956D-C92EE374A7D2.jpeg

Here is my question... my pork is at about 190 internal temp. It has not stalled a bit. However, when I poke and prod at the pork, it doesn’t seem like it’s anywhere close to being ready to come off/pull. I’ve never experienced this before. Anyone have any advice?? Thanks!

Attachments

• 5B2F8356-F797-4DC8-9BB5-D25F95AE949C.jpeg
    5B2F8356-F797-4DC8-9BB5-D25F95AE949C.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 10
AED3B611-DE01-4698-B9E1-3A2DB0B13F37.jpeg
Internal temperature of the pork is reading 200. Can that be right? I’ve tried two different thermometers and both are reading around 200. It has been on for about 8 hours now and never once stalled. The smoker has been between 225 and 250 the entire time.

Is it possible this was just a fast cook? I have not wrapped.

You said it was "bone in". Give the bone a giggle and see it moves around freely. If you can pull it out easily then your done. If not then you still have a little way to go. No two shoulders are the same and some just cook quicker then others.

Chris

You said it was "bone in". Give the bone a giggle and see it moves around freely. If you can pull it out easily then your done. If not then you still have a little way to go. No two shoulders are the same and some just cook quicker then others.

Chris

The bone moves a bit but not that easily. I think I’ve still got a while to go. Thanks for your help!

Looks really good from here.

Point for sure.

Chris

Did you use a finishing sauce, that really takes your PP to another level.
Here is the one that a lot of us use.
SoFlaQ’uers finishing sauce

1 Cup Cider Vinegar
2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Tony Chachere's Cajun Seasoning
1 Teaspoon Course Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes

Warm the Vinegar up enough so that it dissolves the Sugar well. Then add the remaining ingredients.

I use it in one of those clear Ketchup bottles you can get from Wally World for about $0.99. Snip a little bit larger hole out of the spout with a pair of scissors. Once all your ingredients are mixed together, put your finger over the top, and shake vigorously.

Randomly squirt this over warm freshly pulled Pork, then kind of mix it up with gloved hands. This adds very little heat (despite the Red Pepper) and mellows out the stronger, gamier parts of the Shoulder. The Vinegar also helps break it down even more for some REAL juicy pork.

Personally, I eat it just like that, but your guests can add whatever "Q sauce they prefer once it's on their plates or bun!

Hope this helps!
Al

What was the IT when you pulled it? Was it probe tender all over?
That’s one reason I wrap so that you catch most of the juices.
Try wrapping next time if you didn’t.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky