pork shoulder help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ga.rick

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
hey folks brotherinlaw wants me to smoke a 19lb whole shoulder he bought. 

going to be doing it in  a 22.5 wsm, question is do i need to cut it in half or

just smoke the whole thing time is not a problem. i was just thinking about it

from a safety issue. buy the time i cut the skin off and trim a little its probally

going to be more like 16 or 17 lbs. any input or thoughts on procedure would

be greatly appreciated.

You don't need to cut it in half but it will cut way down on your time if you do. When they get that big it can take a really long time to get done and you may have issues with your danger zone but that will probably depend on how thick it is. I have done briskets that weigh more than others but they take less time because they weren't as thick. Just something to take into consideration. Just because it weighs more doesn't always mean it will take longer if it isn't as thick. You also have to take into consideration the fat content. The more fat in there the longer it will take to break down all of that goodness. Are you looking to pull the sholder for pulled pork?

yes it will be for pulled pork. when folks cook a whole hog do they up the temp a little

to get it past that 140* certain amount of time thing ? i was thinking maybe between

250* to 300* range.

thanks for reply.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky