Pork Brine Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bandbtv

Original poster
Mar 15, 2016
This is our first time with hams and bacon in a brine in the basement. After 14 days the brine looks cloudy.  My partner here says he thinks it's just some fat rising to the surface.... my concern is that it might have gone bad... i.e. was the tempo cool enough/bins clean enough etc. Any thoughts out there? Thanks so much.

This is our first time with hams and bacon in a brine in the basement. After 14 days the brine looks cloudy.  My partner here says he thinks it's just some fat rising to the surface.... my concern is that it might have gone bad... i.e. was the tempo cool enough/bins clean enough etc. Any thoughts out there? Thanks so much.
What brine recipe did you use?

pics would help

What temp was the fridge

Richie

Last edited:
Somewhat cloudy is normal as meat proteins and fats come out. You can also get Ropy Brine that is cloudy, slimey and forms ropes of goo when stirred and you lift the spoon. Not an huge deal but requires you dump the brine, wash the meat and container well and make a new brine. If the whole deal went south, your Nose will let you know...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky