Poor Man's Burnt Ends

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

DarkBarkBBQ

Original poster
Sep 24, 2021
Hi all, new to the forum and looking for some help as I am looking to make poor mans burnt ends using chuck roast this weekend. I've seen where some have cube the meat first and then throw on the smoker and others have smoked the whole chuck roast and then cubed after. Has anyone tried both way's or can offer some insight if one method is better than the other?

I followed chilerelleno chilerelleno recipe posted below. They were great. Good luck and let us know how they turn out.

Fred

Reactions: chilerelleno
Chuck is way more $ than brisket here .
When I have made them from chuck , it's leftover from smoked whole . Cubed up after the fact .

Reactions: gmc2003
I cube them after also. It's easier to flip/handle the roast as a whole piece of meat then individual cubes. When the roast hits about 175* then cube it up - toss the cubes into a bag with your favorite burnt end seasoning. Give them the shake-n-bake treatment and toss'em in a disposable pan with some liquids(I use beef broth with a sliced onion). When they're tender. Take them out of the pan and drain the liquid. Replace the liquid with your favorite sauce. Stir them around until coated, and set them individually on the grate. Let them smoke until the coating has set.

Chris

chopsaw chopsaw brisket is more expensive the chuck here. I wish it was reversed.

Reactions: bill1 and chopsaw
Chuck is way more $ than brisket here .
When I have made them from chuck , it's leftover from smoked whole . Cubed up after the fact .
Yep, same here, though it's a love hate relationship with me. Chuck has been creeping up in the $7+/lb in my area, while briskets can be had for $3-3.50/lb, but the chuckies are such an easier cook and always come out so good. Plus, I don't end up with 10+lbs leftovers. I know, leftover brisket is good, but you see my point (no pun intended:emoji_sunglasses:

I smoke the Chuck whole, then cube and finish.
The key to good Chuck Burnt Ends is to get the Chuck to "Just Tender", then cube and braise till those chunks are melt in your mouth tender.

Pork Belly Burnt Ends get cubed first, smoked and then braised.

For both Chuck and Pork Belly I prefer to use a disposable aluminum pan covered with foil for braising rather than wrapping in foil or paper.

Reactions: chopsaw and TNJAKE
Well with the price of meat going thru the roof, I wonder how a cubed up money muscle would be for burnt ends. Just buy a butt, and take off the money muscle & the other tubes & cube them up & use the rest of the butt for PP! Just a thought. Or use part of the butt for buckboard bacon, then what’s left make PP & use it in chili. Now that would cover all the bases.
Al

Reactions: 912smoker
A little late on this post but just wanted to thank everyone for the advice. Did the burnt ends last weekend and they turned out great. Ended up smoking the roasts whole and cubing afterwards. Had two pans worth and no leftovers so I assume the guests enjoyed them as well. Forgot to take pics though :emoji_disappointed:. Looking to cook a tri tip this weekend if I can find one here in Florida, fingers crossed...

Reactions: chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky