Pizza cooked indirect

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cansmoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Hamilton, Ontario
Made a pizza from scratch (ok, we buy the dough). Veggies, Salami, CHEESE and black olives.

Put on indirect in OKI Joe for about 40 minutes. Dough comes out for most part fairly light and toppings are flavourful.

Attachments

• Pizza ready for grill.jpg
    Pizza ready for grill.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 28
  • Pizza done.jpg
    Pizza done.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 29
We certainly enjoy making our own pizza, but we found a local pizza place that will sell us dough balls. It makes it much easier and we tend to do pizza more often. I have never tried your approach. It has always been hot and fast. Might have to give it a shot. Thanks

It depends on the type of dough you are making as to the amount of work you need to put into it.
I will make 5 dough balls on Wednesday, 1 goes into a proofing container and in to the fridge.
The other 4 go into the freezer.
I do a 72 hour cold proof, then take the dough out on Saturday at 9am, and put it a proofer set at 78f.
Stays in there until we use it for lunch.
The frozen ones we take out on Tuesday to give one day to thaw.
It's an easy recipe.

cansmoke, This is pretty cool. Thanks for the post.
3 questions;
1.) What temp are you trying to keep the CC at?
2.) Do you have the stone(s) in while the grill is coming up to temp or do you slide the stones in with the pizza on them after the CC comes to temp?3.) what is your choice of fuel? Did you go for a smoky flavor with hickory, oak or ash? or just use straight charcoal or lump charcoal?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Looking forward to making some soon.

cansmoke, This is pretty cool. Thanks for the post.
3 questions;
1.) What temp are you trying to keep the CC at?
2.) Do you have the stone(s) in while the grill is coming up to temp or do you slide the stones in with the pizza on them after the CC comes to temp?3.) what is your choice of fuel? Did you go for a smoky flavor with hickory, oak or ash? or just use straight charcoal or lump charcoal?

Thanks again for sharing your experience. Looking forward to making some soon.
I put the stone with the pizza on it once I drop the coals. I put cold coals down and then hot coals on top in main barrell in Hot-Cold-Hot pattern with a pan in for water in Cold area. I try and make the Cold area almost as wide as the pizza stone. Before putting grates on, I put wood chips in a smoker box on the first hot area (furthest from chimney). It takes about 40-45 minutes but check on it every 15-20 minutes. Turn the pizza on the stone 90 degrees 1/2 way through. If you lift up the crust with a spatula and tap the bottom of the crust it should give you a hollow sound and be light golden colour. Enjoy!

I put the stone with the pizza on it once I drop the coals. I put cold coals down and then hot coals on top in main barrell in Hot-Cold-Hot pattern with a pan in for water in Cold area. I try and make the Cold area almost as wide as the pizza stone. Before putting grates on, I put wood chips in a smoker box on the first hot area (furthest from chimney). It takes about 40-45 minutes but check on it every 15-20 minutes. Turn the pizza on the stone 90 degrees 1/2 way through. If you lift up the crust with a spatula and tap the bottom of the crust it should give you a hollow sound and be light golden colour. Enjoy!
OUTSTANDING!!! Thanks for the info. Looking forward to trying this.

...temp gauge kept climbing to well over 400F.
sounds applicable to indoor oven cooking too. I like a short, high-temp cook on my pizza, but I waste a lot of time waiting for the oven to pre-heat. to desired temp. Maybe I'll try putting it in earlier and letting it come up to 400-450 with the heating of the oven. Gets you a pizza quicker even if the pie is in the oven longer that way. And I'm pretty good at judging when to pull a pizza by the curling of the pepperoni's and the level of oil on the surface.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky