Piedmontese Picanha Gift

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
I always feel bad posting after being absent from the SMF, I know Im missing a lot of great cooks by good friends and haven't even responded to most kind words on my last thread. My apologies. However, as Ive already whined excessively about here, Im at a busy stage in my life. That being said, I wanted to be sure that I posted this cook before I hit the road in a few days because it involves SMF's extremely generous Saint of Meats, Robert tx smoker tx smoker . A few days back I received a box with a beautiful Piedmontese Picanha that Robert wanted me to share with my family. My family and I were excited and very grateful for such a generous gift and I wanted to be sure to share with everyone. It was a very special diner with my family as I get ready to leave them for a few months . . . but a majority of it was standing around the cutting board! My kids kept running in to steel a slice before potatoes were done and my wife and I decided . . . well, it is all about the meat on this cook. Absolutely incredible flavor, the best bet I have ever had the pleasure to eat! So without further babbling!

Receipt of the Gift!
tempImage0EKJf1.png

Trimmed down and seasoned . . . getting to room temp!
tempImagea0O9lR.png

Some goat cheese stuffed Medjool dates with toasted walnuts and a Basaltic reduction with lime zest as an appetizer!
tempImage4HdU0c.png

On the pellet pooper at 275!
tempImageG0PpHt.png

Pulled at 135, my wife likes red meat a little more done, but with this cut it really did not matter. The flavor was incredible and so juicy!
tempImagecfNeTt.png

Sliced, by now the kids were hovering!
tempImagezf8MLY.png

And a cool sliced shot! I swear that I only did auto focus, not filters! Immediately after this picture, the feast started at the cutting board, tasty juice dripping down our chins. For a few minutes the only words heard were "Mmmm"
tempImageNFqNKI.png

And a final plated shot . . . which does not really do the gift justice. The slices in this picture look more dry and medium than they actually were. The flavor was absolutely out of this world and it was incredibly tender! I thought about doing a chimichuri with it, but I really did not want to do anything to compete with the incredible flavor of this meat. So went traditional potatoes with shrooms, onion, in dripping gravy.
tempImageuyjiQa.png

I cannot express how incredible the Piedmontese flavor is. The best red meat Ive ever had, Id say ahead of the one time I was able to eat Wagyu. It was an ideal spring meal with my family, sun was shining and warm out. The screen door open with neighbor kids in our yard waiting for play time to continue. My young kids fighting for access to a cutting board, enjoying strips of Picanha with smiles. My wife and I enjoyed a more civilized plate later!

Thank you Robert, your generosity is incredible and the wonderful experiences that you have given to so many here is beyond measure.

Look perfect. My wife likes a little more rare so I usually try to split the difference.
And sounds like a great family time. Enjoy while you can.

Reactions: bauchjw
Incredible looking cook! Great to have the whole family enjoy the meal.
Thank you! Yes, it’s always good to share together!
Awesome job !!
I appreciate it!
Damn, pass the dates please.
Maybe just a few slices of that meat too, for proteins sake.
Thank you Chili! Those Dates were pretty incredible! The lime zest brings it up a notch. Very simple to make!
Yes sir Jed, you did that the justice that such a special gift deserves...
Thank you! Very appreciated!
Excellent looking cook!
That Piedmontese beef really some great meat! And you did it justice!

Jim
Thank you Jim! I appreciate it! It is pretty incredible, very generous gift for sure!
Look perfect. My wife likes a little more rare so I usually try to split the difference.
And sounds like a great family time. Enjoy while you can.
Thank you Edmond! Yes, I like more rare than my wife, my kids aren’t set yet on what they like, as long as it tastes good. That’s why these larger cuts are nice though, you can get some parts a little more done than others with thickness or hot spots.

I appreciate it, yes, I’m enjoying it as much as I can!

Fantastic job on that hunk of meat Jed.

Point for sure
Chris

Apologies for being late to the party Jed. Been gearing up for a road trip and got into FL yesterday afternoon. What an amazing cook but honestly, the story itself was better than the meal. Something really aoecial about sharing time and memories like this with the family.
Absolutely incredible flavor, the best bet I have ever had the pleasure to eat!
Wow, after all of the amazing meals I've seen you post, this is quite a statement.
The flavor was absolutely out of this world and it was incredibly tender!
Just abut anything from the CPB sirloin is like this. Just super tender and packed with flavor. The Picanha is the pinnacle though.
Id say ahead of the one time I was able to eat Wagyu.
I would tend to agree.
Thank you Robert
You are more than welcome my friend. It was an honor to share this with you and your family. Thank you for sharing such a great story and safe travels.

Robert

• Love
Saint Robert does it again. He’s like Meat Santa. That cook is a fitting tribute to his generosity. This made me smile a lot.
Haha, that’s what I was initially thinking, Meat Santa🤣 Glad you enjoyed the read Sven! It was a fun meal!
Bam bam man that is some good eats! Very well done! I’m also with chilerelleno chilerelleno pass me some of those dates!!!
Thank you Civil! You’re welcome to come by anytime and I’ll be sure to make those dates! They are tasty!
You did an awesome job Jed! And Robert shows once again how generous he is!
Thank you Steve! He certainly goes above and beyond with his generosity!
Super Picanha, Jed. Looks absolutely delicious!
Thank you Kim! I trimmed it all the way down, next time I’ll leave some fat on! It’s delicious!
Wow you are blessed
Thank you Peachy, we are definitely blessed!
Fantastic job on that hunk of meat Jed.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you Chris! It was amazing!

Fantastic cook as always Jed
But the family story out does the food for the memories , even though it was because of the food.
The kids are going to remember the time Mom and Dad let us grab and go from the chopping block.

Enjoy all these times Jed . It goes by fast.

Great looking plate at the end , and nice that you and you wife got to have a civilized sit down plates later, and hopefully a little quite time

David

Edit : sorry meat to say Santa Robert is a kind big hearted fellow for sure, David

• Love
I had never heard of this cut before. I liked the original post right away because it looks so good.

The funny thing is we were at our local Super Walmart a few days ago and they had three of them in the meat section. They never had them before. I did not buy one since I really had no idea on it except this post.

I might have to rethink that on our next trip there if they have any.

Fantastic cook as always Jed
But the family story out does the food for the memories , even though it was because of the food.
The kids are going to remember the time Mom and Dad let us grab and go from the chopping block.

Enjoy all these times Jed . It goes by fast.

Great looking plate at the end , and nice that you and you wife got to have a civilized sit down plates later, and hopefully a little quite time

David

Edit : sorry meat to say Santa Robert is a kind big hearted fellow for sure, David

Thank you David, I really appreciate it! Yes, I am very conscious of time slipping away. They are still young, but I feel like in a blink they age a year. When my daughter asks how far away Christmas is I tell her that for me it will be here soon, but for her it will take forever. Time moves faster as we get older and ZI feel like children help accelerate it! So, we make the best memories we can and enjoy the moment!

Santa Robert is extremely generous!

I appreciate your time David!
I had never heard of this cut before. I liked the original post right away because it looks so good.

The funny thing is we were at our local Super Walmart a few days ago and they had three of them in the meat section. They never had them before. I did not buy one since I really had no idea on it except this post.

I might have to rethink that on our next trip there if they have any.
I appreciate it! I had never cooked this cut before and never really knew about it, beyond seeing it on Brazilian steakhouse menus, until the last year when they started popping up here. But it is absolutely delicious. I haven't seen it at War Mart, but highly recommend a go!
That’s a great cook Jed and a very nice story, like David said, the kids will definitely remember that experience. Nicely done!!
Thank you Ray! I appreciate it! Im sure they will for the amazing meat as much as anything! It is a great memory already!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky