Picking up some meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

shipwama

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hello All,
Canadian here, who is headed over to the states this weekend, looking to pick up a brisket or other meats to smoke while I'm over there. Where does anyone recommend to pick this up.
I do not get flyers for the USA is there any sales going on anywhere
Thanks

Where are you crossing over? Windsor?

Hello All,
Canadian here, who is headed over to the states this weekend, looking to pick up a brisket or other meats to smoke while I'm over there. Where does anyone recommend to pick this up.
I do not get flyers for the USA is there any sales going on anywhere
Thanks

I used to work for Great American Food Stores on the Canadian border in Ogdensburg, NY and would cross over to the Canadian side via the Cornwall Ont. bridge, plus I worked in Alex Bay, a little further south, and would cross over into Kingston, Ont. via the 1000 Islands bridge. I would do price checks on a weekly basis. This was in the '80's and '90's. Prices were fairly consistent in beef, lamb and pork. But, the huge difference was poultry pricing - Canada was 2-5 times higher than American pricing. When in Ogdensburg, NY, several food scientists came from Cornwall, Ont. to purchase 2½ lb. fryers cut up in different ways; I had to order a case per week special for them for 12 weeks; come to find out they were making prototype microwave dinners and they kept exploding in the microwave ovens, so they would go to my store for chickens and Kmart for microwaves! Eventually they perfected them and brought us all a few cases to test out - we had real good lunches for quite a while! They reiterated our chicken prices were ¼ the price of Canada's. I also got a ton of Canadians purchasing turkeys for the holidays too. So, I would look at poultry for purchases in the US, plus also look at import laws too.

Thanks All
I ended up hitting Wegmans,
got a beauty of a pork SHoulder @ 1.19 a lb.
cheap compared to what I pay here in Canada.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky