Pheasant

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chazinn

Original poster
Feb 6, 2012
ok been a long time member but never posted as I generally just get ideas.
I’ve been asked to smoke 3 birds tomorrow. After a lot of reading here and elsewhere I’ve been toying with the idea of a maple syrup/brown sugar brine. There’s several options/recipes out there. I’m thinking about
Modifying the brine to include bourbon. However I have no idea how much to use and would I need to adjust the kosher salt amounts?

To late! I mixed 8 cups of water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 3 cups maple syrup, and 1/3 cup bourbon. Hoping they turn out well.
Going to dust them with some rub , wrap them in bacon and smoke em till they reach 160.
This is the first time smoking pheasant! Hoping they turn out well.

FEB5A853-D612-4B2B-9CF6-41469D30D473.jpeg
68DD3870-4302-4C15-B66D-9E8BEDDD9736.jpeg
Turned out surprisingly great! Will
Make some minor tweaks in terms of how long I brine and will be reducing temp to increase smoke time, but all in all very very tasty indeed. Everyone really complimented it.

Did the bird dry out, or did it stay moist. I have steered away from it thinking it would dry Out to much.

I thought they were a tad on they dry side but the pheasant hunters thought the birds were surprisingly moist and flavorful.
I did brine it for 12 hours I think next time I’ll brine them for 18 or maybe 24 hours.

Used to get up to Iowa to hunt . Always liked quail better ( not dry ) . Never was able to make a good pheasant . If I had to try again , I think you have the right idea . I would like to see it done with some Tony C's injected and held over night .

Reactions: chazinn
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky