PERFECT RIBS EVERY TIME! This really works!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Thanks Bear, I don't smoke spares, but if I did I think the principle would be the same. Go by temp, and 195 is a good place to start.

Thanks Buddy, that's a good price. I paid $4.49 for these.

Thanks John!

Thanks David, I'm glad your going to give this a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.
Al, What type of ribs did you use in this demonstration?

Al, What type of ribs did you use in this demonstration?

Yep babybacks, but this will work on any rib.
Lately I have been using St. Louis cut spares.
They are much cheaper & we are liking them better.
I have a rack of STL's thawing out as we speak for the weekend.
They were on sale for $1.99 per lb., so I bought several racks to freeze.
Al

Yep babybacks, but this will work on any rib.
Lately I have been using St. Louis cut spares.
They are much cheaper & we are liking them better.

I have a rack of STL's thawing out as we speak for the weekend.
They were on sale for $1.99 per lb., so I bought several racks to freeze.
Al

So they got you too! Dang Prices!!
That's what I told you two years ago.
We still don't do BabyBacks, because they're still too expensive.
I do the cheaper Spares, and usually "Full Spares"---Not St Louis.
Much Cheaper than BBs.

Bear

So they got you too! Dang Prices!!
That's what I told you two years ago.
We still don't do BabyBacks, because they're still too expensive.
I do the cheaper Spares, and usually "Full Spares"---Not St Louis.
Much Cheaper than BBs.

Bear

Yea man, I like to eat ribs at least once every 2 weeks, and sometimes once a week.
And as you say the BB's are just getting to expensive, plus now when you get them they have a big chunk of the loin on top. So you smoke them as usual & the loin portion is dried out cause it should be pulled at 140, and the rest of the rib needs to go to 195 or higher depending on how you like them. So I have moved on to STL's, and when they get too expensive I'll just do whole spares.
Al

They're in. Used your rub over Hickory. 2 racks cut in half. Going in for 3 hours regardless of temp then foiling
20180715_130143.jpg

Family loved them. Only issue was searing the membrane over charcoal, whenever it started falling off it'd catch fire on the coals burning the underside pretty bad lol. Ended up pulling them all off. Thanks again Al

Attachments

• 20180715_185327.jpg
    20180715_185327.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 38
Family loved them. Only issue was searing the membrane over charcoal, whenever it started falling off it'd catch fire on the coals burning the underside pretty bad lol. Ended up pulling them all off. Thanks again Al

Glad to hear they turned out good for you!
Judging from the photo, they look perfect!
As you found out the membrane comes off very easily after they are cooked.
Thanks for telling me about burning it off over charcoal, it seemed like it would work, but I guess not.
Al

Al - great job. I always leave the membrane on, for a number of reasons. After wrapping in foil, by varying the remaining cooking time, the degree of tenderness, i.e., fall off the bone effect, can be easily regulated to your personal liking.

Al - great job. I always leave the membrane on, for a number of reasons. After wrapping in foil, by varying the remaining cooking time, the degree of tenderness, i.e., fall off the bone effect, can be easily regulated to your personal liking.

Thank you my friend!!
Al

Thanks Al, I am trying this method tonight! The wife requested ribs that were a little less salty than my regulars.
I will be using Jeff's rub, so we'll see how it goes. I am looking forward to something different!
Grubby

Thanks Al, I am trying this method tonight! The wife requested ribs that were a little less salty than my regulars.
I will be using Jeff's rub, so we'll see how it goes. I am looking forward to something different!
Grubby

Hi there and welcome!

Ribs can be easily over salted. I would recommend that if you make up a rub to do it without salt and then season with the rub. Afterwards season with the salt separately so you can control the amount of salt on your ribs. This should help avoid over salting ribs as Jeff's rub could easily over salt ribs as you try to get a good covering of other spices on the ribs.

SmokinAl's approach here won't steer you wrong, I would just hate to see you cook them perfectly but be disappointed with with too much salt content :)

Grubby

I'm sorry I didn't see this until this morning, so hopefully your ribs turned out well.
Here is the rub I use on just about everything, and it has no salt in it.

Al’s Best Rub

1 1/2 cups raw sugar (turbinado)

1/4 cup red pepper flakes

1/2 cup granulated onion

1/2 cup granulated garlic

1/2 cup black pepper

1/2 cup smoked paprika

1/4 cup Spanish or Hungarian paprika

Hope this helps!
Al

AL,

Add another to the thankful list. I tried your technique with spare ribs and they turned out great. I found myself not too worried about the temp b/c each time I stuck it in, it had a diff temp but I didn't really care...it was close. I did the 3hrs smoke and I was successful in my 2nd attempt at a clean fire on my OK Joe. (I think I have it just about figured out). This was the first time I DIDN"T take the membrane off and like everyone else it wasn't an issue. It seared off from my grill. I thought it might not work b/c I have an infrared type but it was fine.

My only real worry was how the sauce would hold up b/c I normally thought that you had to sauce the ribs up and put them on the grill for an hr or so in order to thickin up. But I sauced them after the foil period and threw them on the hot grill for 3 mins and pulled them when it started to bubble and cut them off after a rest period. I was real happy with them. The only difference was I didn't have raw sugar and I didn't put any brown sugar on them. I might try that next time but I'm not huge on sweet. I used Jeffs rub and bbq sauce so I figured there was enough brown sugar already and I really like his bbq sauce. I'm not sure if it's low in salt but I feel like it is. (maybe it's all in my head)

Oh and I forgot to put the trimmings on the smoker so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them now. I might just put them in a slow cooker. Anyway thanks again!

AL,

Add another to the thankful list. I tried your technique with spare ribs and they turned out great. I found myself not too worried about the temp b/c each time I stuck it in, it had a diff temp but I didn't really care...it was close. I did the 3hrs smoke and I was successful in my 2nd attempt at a clean fire on my OK Joe. (I think I have it just about figured out). This was the first time I DIDN"T take the membrane off and like everyone else it wasn't an issue. It seared off from my grill. I thought it might not work b/c I have an infrared type but it was fine.

My only real worry was how the sauce would hold up b/c I normally thought that you had to sauce the ribs up and put them on the grill for an hr or so in order to thickin up. But I sauced them after the foil period and threw them on the hot grill for 3 mins and pulled them when it started to bubble and cut them off after a rest period. I was real happy with them. The only difference was I didn't have raw sugar and I didn't put any brown sugar on them. I might try that next time but I'm not huge on sweet. I used Jeffs rub and bbq sauce so I figured there was enough brown sugar already and I really like his bbq sauce. I'm not sure if it's low in salt but I feel like it is. (maybe it's all in my head)

Oh and I forgot to put the trimmings on the smoker so I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them now. I might just put them in a slow cooker. Anyway thanks again!

I'm very happy to hear your ribs turned out so well!
The brown sugar really doesn't make the ribs too sweet, but it does help put a nice crust on them.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky