Pastrami

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nemisportsman

Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Decided to get some smoking done and haven't attempted pastrami in a long while. Previous attempts have been brined pastrami this time I am doing a dry cure.

[font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]
They were all about 3.25 lbs, I made sure the fat (where present) was trimmed to about 1/8 in.

My Dry Cure (for about 10 lbs meat)

[/font][font=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]1/3 cup Morton Tender Quick
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup freshly coarse ground black pepper
2 1/2 Tablespoons garlic powder
3 Tablespoons ground coriande
[/font]r

THE BEEF AFTER 3 DAYS
Pastrami_3_days_cure.jpg

My first step today is to take the cured beef out of the bags and rinse thoroughly. All of the cure material should be removed at this time.

pastrami_rinsed.jpg

After rinsing they need to be soaked for at least an hour before smoking.
I use a huge stainless bowl, but a big pot, food grade bucket, or whatever would work just fine.
Pastrami_soaking.jpg

Time to make the rub and get the smoker ready while the briskets take their bath!

THE RUB

No salt for this one just some coarse ground items to give it a nice crusty and flavorful outside.

4 Tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, slightly coarse grind
3 Tablespoons freshly ground juniper berries
1 1/2 Tablespoons freshly ground coriander seeds, slightly coarse grind
1 Tablespoon garlic powder

Got the smoker up to temp/loaded:

loaded_up1.jpg

Tally for todays smoke:

3 Briskets Pastrami
1 3.5 lb Chuck roast
2 Fatties (ones a bratwurst w/ kraut, I forgot to label other when I made a batch up and froze so it's a surpise)
10 Chicken thighs

Making some good smoke and working on getting a consistent temp. Going to do this around 250.
making_smoke.jpg

Like any project- a few screw ups...I'll need one of my dogs to watch the smoker while I get another tank of propane, this one seems kinda low!!! __________________

Smoked for several hours until pastrami was around 160 then pulled them out,double wrapped in foil and placed into cooler for 2 hours to rest.

foiled_and_resting.jpg

Fatties were done

fatties_out_of_smoker.jpg

First one is Italian Sausage, Green Peppers, Onions, Pepperoni, a bit of Mozzarella and Pizza sauce.

Italian_fatty.jpg

Second creation was Bratwurst, Sauerkraut, Corned Beef and a bit of Swiss Cheese.

brat_fatty.jpg

After a couple hours the Pastrami had rested long enough, I cut it to sample a slice and snap a pic....going to cool it overnight before slicing on the electric slicer.
peek_at_pastrami.jpg

Turned out better than I expected utilizing the dry cure method, I was nervous if it would distribute equally and completely in just 3-4 short days versus the 3 weeks I usually take to brine pastrami.

Finally decided to top a full day of babysitting the smoker with one of my favorite post smoking beers

end_of_smoking_reward.jpg

I'll post pics of the finished deli-sliced product tomorrow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky