Pancetta Tesa #3

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mr_whipple

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jul 3, 2021
Virginia
Next iteration of the pancetta tesa project. After the first failure, and then a lack of sugar in my formulation in round two, this turned out great. I used the guanciale flavor scheme from the 2 guys and a cooler recipe. A few things learned and when I do this again it will be even better.

Out of the vac seal... smells delicious as it is.

20231007_110926.jpg

Apparently I didn't take any pics before tossing it in the chamber. Unlike the naked versions, I wrapped this in a collagen sheet and trussed it up a bit. Here we are at 31% weight loss.

20231106_172352.jpg

20231106_173141.jpg

A touch of green mold under the collagen sheet. Smelled ok to me so I gave the whole piece a vigorous washing with white wine vinegar. Someone drank all the cheap white wine.

20231106_173129.jpg

Cleaned up nicely and tasted incredible. Here are a few cut shots. Man does this taste good. I wish it was a little more on the fatty side, but I'm as happy as I could be with this. Bringing the sugar percentage up made a huge difference over the last batch. Next week I'll incorporate this into some pasta.

20231106_174650.jpg

20231106_174731.jpg

20231106_175924.jpg

Tossed the pieces in paper lunch bags after the vinegar bath and put in the fridge overnight to make sure I killed any mold left over before vac sealing this morning before work. So... the collagen sheet made a difference in the even drying, but I think it didn't stuck well when the piece shrank allowing for that green mold. Next time I do this I'll shoot for a piece of belly with a little more fat, and will probably do it without the collagen sheet. We'll make that decision when we get there. Next pancetta I'm going to do is a small arrotolata with the duroc belly, but the guanciale is also on the radar now that I can source the jowls..

Thanks for looking and enjoy the day!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky