Our first BBC with Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hidepounder

Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
After having spent several nights prowling around the site and learning more about smoking than I ever dreamed of, we decided to try some Beer Butt Chicken.

We decided to do two chickens and ended up with a couple of 6# birds @ $.49#. At that price we could afford to make a few mistakes which we figured was inevitable, LOL! We decided to use some Montreal Chicken seasoning from Grill Mates for the sake of simplicity and stuck them in the refrigerator over night.

Birds mounted on Jamaican Red Stripe lager, ready for the smoker.

7ff2632f_014(S).jpg

We smoked these chickens on our new MES @ 275* using a combination of apple and pecan chips which I decided to soak. An apple was used to plug the holes in the necks. We used 50% apple juice and 50% water in the water pan. At 275* keeping TBS was a piece of cake.

At approximately three hours, fifteen minutes temp checked at 150*....back in the smoker.

bd4665f4_034(S).jpg

Added corn about 45 minutes later.

1ff111c0_035(S).jpg

Birds finished at 170*. Total time was approximately 4 hours and 45 minutes.

1efcd429_043(S).jpg

Too much to eat...no time for fancy plating!

a9ef8418_053(S).jpg

In the end we were very pleased with the outcome and the corn was a pleasant surprise. On the next one we might use a little less rub on the chicken or maybe by then we will consider something more elaborate. We were amazed at how moist the chichen was. We kept reading about it, but you have to see one finished to really appreciate it. Thank you all  for the help and encouragement. This was a lot of fun!  I'll post pic's of our salmon experience next. 

Last edited:
It looks awesome nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
Great deal on the birds too

That may have been your fist smoke on birds, but I know it won't be your last. Good job well done. It's all good my friend.

Great looking chicken!  We love us some pulled beer can chicken sandwiches... sold them at a bbq comp last month and had a line around the corner!

Great looking corn too!  Hats off to ya my friend!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky