OTS (Off The Shelf) and super cheap UDS Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wh1skey6

Original poster
Oct 26, 2012
Spokane, WA
Hi everyone,

After reading and reading and some reading, I was going to buy a WSM 22.5". That was, until my wife said "pool table or smoker, but you're not getting both...unless you plan on sleeping on the pool table". (For the record, I said I'd sleep under the pool table, not on it).

Anyhoo, I am going to build a UDS instead. I am fairly handy with tools, but I'm a computer geek by trade (although my entire family are hanymen/women, electricians, mechanics, welders, etc). My goal is to find as many off the shelf items as possible to limit the chances I am going to f something up.

Questions:

1) How necessary is the ball valve? I mean, you're going to need at least ONE intake open or the fire would suffocate. I'm guessing it would always be left wide open. I was going to drill 3 more intake vents and cover them with magnets. Isn't one always open good enough?

2) Magnets: I hear they lose their magnetic properties after so long. Or they melt. True?

3) Firebox: Expanded steel is pricey ($20 for 24" x 24" at Home Depot). I found an egg basket online that is roughly the same dimension as a firebox for $15 shipped. I was thinking I could just burn off the plastic crap and put some screws on as feet. Thoughts?

3a) Any other ideas for making a firebox without expanded steel? My company has a ton of excess wire mesh. Is that strong enough? I have the grill and charcoal grate from a knock off Weber Smokey Joe kettle I bought at Value Village for $10 that I could use.

4) I have some oxidized drill bits. Will that drill through the steel? I drilled through my ECB but not sure about the drum.

5) Exhaust: I have some pieces from that knock off WSJ. I could either use the dampers from that or put a stack on. Thoughts? Which is better?

6) Can you use two racks but keep the stock lid? Or is it too close to the fire box?

My awesome wife is getting me a Maverick 732 for my b-day. Outside of that, I think I can do this build for under $75, including the drum. ($25 drum, $10 grate, $15 fire basket, $25 for misc screws/bolts and some cheap handles)

Last edited:
Welcome to SMF! I haven't built one of these YET. Planning on making one to keep at hunting camp. I haven't done a lot of research but I know you should stay away from galvanized metals.

Let's see if this non expert can answer some questions

1. Mags will be fine for the inlets with no ball valve , save beer money for pipe nipples and ball valve to add later.
2. They prob do loose a bit over time ( see 1 ). It won't get hot enough to melt them.
3. Try looking around at an appliance repair place and get a washing machine basket.
4. Regular (for metal) drill bits work fine or even a harbor frt step drill.
5. I prefer a stack, you can cover it with a beer can or a fence post cap.
6. From what I understand a stock lid will NOT give you enough room for two racks.
7. Go for it...

I have a UDS ( see profile pics )  I use magnets  and no real problems yet except don't use the super thin ones they come apart. if you want multiple racks, kettle top for sure the first rack should be 24in above the lowest point of your fire basket. I figure I got about 50 buck rolled into my uds as it sits.you just need to be creative, I used metal coat hangers to make the sides of my fire basket. bought a uni flame 22.5 grill off craigslist for 10 bucks. hope some of the ramble helps.

Thanks for the replies.

I've read that people had issues with threaded pipe nipples and getting them on/off. Is that true?

For a firebox, I was dinking around Winco and I think I might have found a solution. It is a 20 qt steamer basket for $11.

Do you think that has enough holes in it?

I did once (threaded nipple) but just don't tighten it all that much and grease the threads....
The basket for a dollar? give it a try. If not enough holes drill a few more.

I ended up getting an aluminum 40 qt pot, no holes, at a thrift store. I figure an hour with my drill and a beer should solve this.

I ended up picking up yet another smokey joe there for $9. My garage is looking like a graveyard for grills.

Drum question:

Where I am, I can get a non-food grade for $12 or a food grade for $25. I haven't been down there but I'm pretty confident the food grade will still have liner.

I've googled this with mixed results. Should I get the non-food grade and just do a burn? Or should I really get the food grade, do a burn and hope the liner burns with it?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky