Offset Pellet combo build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pellet user

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 12, 2017
So I am working on my cooker build today. Ø24" od 1/4" thick rolled tank by 36" main chamber. Ø24" od 1/4" thick rolled tank by 20" firebox. The opening from the FB to the CC is 5" by 14.5" which is 106 sq in. Dave Omak Helped on that one so thank you.

On the door cutting i am think of a 90° door and adding and extra 1" on the bottom for the sliding food tray. I don't know if that is good or not?

Let me know you thoughts

Attachments

• CC to FB.jpg
    CC to FB.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    39.4 KB · Views: 30
  • side view.jpg
    side view.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Pellet end.jpg
    Pellet end.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 25
  • FB to CC.jpg
    FB to CC.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 23
  • FB on posi.jpg
    FB on posi.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 23
  • End with firebox2.jpg
    End with firebox2.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 23
  • End with firebox.jpg
    End with firebox.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 23
  • CC.jpg
    CC.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: 48°North
Update on the build process. The hinges are on and the door is cut in. The firebox is mounted. I think the next thing I will do is make the base for the wheels. Then the firebox door or smoke stacks.

Attachments

• weld and polish.jpg
    weld and polish.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 32
  • smoker3.jpg
    smoker3.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 31
Haven't been working on this too much. I have the stack opening cut and the stacks welded in place. My grill grate material showed up. This weekend I will get some work done!

Attachments

• twin stacks.jpg
    twin stacks.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 35
I am getting close to being done with the fabrication. Thinking about adding another shelf above the main. I might make that in 2 sections so I can still use it if I need a little bit more room.

Question, should I put a drip edge close to the bottom of the door?

Question 2 When putting in the 2nd shelf should the analog thermometer be above or below it?

Attachments

• 77E9CA0B-E81F-48D3-B6FC-E3C3FEF7B42C.jpeg
    77E9CA0B-E81F-48D3-B6FC-E3C3FEF7B42C.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 36
  • D4FACE1E-1E48-470A-984C-D568771387BD.jpeg
    D4FACE1E-1E48-470A-984C-D568771387BD.jpeg
    219.3 KB · Views: 34
  • A01A7A34-0BBC-4DCD-9021-FC60CBBB90DD.jpeg
    A01A7A34-0BBC-4DCD-9021-FC60CBBB90DD.jpeg
    112.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 36E495CA-2C4B-4D03-886E-1AD54D6CAF20.jpeg
    36E495CA-2C4B-4D03-886E-1AD54D6CAF20.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: 48°North
That looks cool! So is the pellet side mostly for temp management and the offset for smoke flavor?
I think the it is an either or. I guess if you had an all night cook you could start with the offset and then switch to the pellet for overnight to keep the cooking going. Then you can get some shuteye 😆

I think the it is an either or. I guess if you had an all night cook you could start with the offset and then switch to the pellet for overnight to keep the cooking going. Then you can get some shuteye 😆
Seen my share of pellet cooking and the fire went out while I was sleeping threads. Hahaaa. It’s funny actually.

Reactions: DougE
Seen my share of pellet cooking and the fire went out while I was sleeping threads. Hahaaa. It’s funny actually.
That hasn’t happened to me yet. I’ve only ever had a pellet smoker. The offset is a new thing for me. I’ve seen this type made by a few builders, but I can’t spend 5,000 on one.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Good idea. You'll get a good balance of flavor when you start with the real wood for a few hours then finish with the pellets in my opinion best of both worlds. I have a larger cabinet smoker with two pellet pro hoppers they do not disappoint. But obviously the flavor of real wood and pellets is noticeable. I will be adding firebox on mine eventually to run real wood smoke. The heavy D diffusers work good as well but only on cooks that are above 225. looks great i love the design

Good idea. You'll get a good balance of flavor when you start with the real wood for a few hours then finish with the pellets in my opinion best of both worlds. I have a larger cabinet smoker with two pellet pro hoppers they do not disappoint. But obviously the flavor of real wood and pellets is noticeable. I will be adding firebox on mine eventually to run real wood smoke. The heavy D diffusers work good as well but only on cooks that are above 225. looks great i love the design
I hope it works great! Right now I have a one pc drip pan on the pellet side. I will see how that works first. If the doesn't work well I may remove it and put tuning plates in place of it. I can put foil over the plate if I want to run the pellet grill only. That is my thought today.

Reactions: slavikborisov
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky