Oaklahoma joe

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

toneeydee

Original poster
Jul 16, 2016
Poconos PA
Hey guys,

Just picked up an oaklahoma joe from Wally World for 198 bucks. Upgrading from a gasser for the more hands on experience.

What would you guys suggest to mod first before My first smoke in it. (May be a few days due to the antarctic NE PA temperatures and 2 plus feet of snow lol)

Thanks in advance

I would throw it away and go back to the gasser.

The Oaklahoma Joes put out some decent Q. There is a slight learning curve, but once you figure it out they aren't that hard to use.

toneeydee
Before you get to carried away with mods do a few easy cooks like chicken. Then decide what mods you want to try.

Last edited:
Not really a mod, just something you will want.  A good fire basket would be my first step.

After that, I would do a couple of dry runs with a wired therm toward each end of the grate.

Then you should have ideas of what you do or do not need for mods.

Good luck and good smoking.

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

Doesn't look like I'll be doing out door cooking anytime soon though. Just got over 3 feet of snow lol

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky