Now I feel guilty

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 23, 2011
Everett, WA
Thanksgiving this year was going to be at my mother-in-law's house, as usual. I've brought some smoked goods over to family gatherings before, and they all seemed to enjoy it. This year, I bought two of these Butterball boneless breast roasts at Costco, 4.75 lbs. each.
ProductCategory_SubCatImages_Frozen-Boneless-Turkey-Roast_340_242.jpg

You don't get the same presentation, but these are SO, SO much easier than messing with a whole turkey. They were placed in a 2 gallon bucket overnight with 1 gallon of orange juice, 1 cup of kosher salt and about a dozen thyme sprigs. Next morning, rinsed and injected with butter and more orange juice, mixed with some garlic powder and rub. Into the MES30 at 275° (as high as it will go) with a water pan, and about 60% orange and 40% sugar maple pellets in the mailbox mod.
20171123_083431.jpg

And about 4 hours later...
20171123_125126.jpg

Forgot to get a sliced pic, as we were in a hurry to get everything on the table, but it was very moist and juicy. Also very consistent all the way through. My nephew asked if it was a pork loin.
Since there was going to be about 20 people there, I had only intended for it to supplement my mother-in-law's 14 lb. bird. But as soon as the in-laws showed up, their first question was did I bring any smoked turkey? Yes, and some homemade Chinese bbq pork and soppressata as well.
Everyone ended up going for my smoked turkey, and hardly touching my m-i-l's bird at all. Not that there was anything wrong with hers, it was just oven roasted; but now I feel a little guilty about the whole thing.

One thing that will probably be talked about for the next few Thanksgivings: My mother-in-law lives in a pretty posh house overlooking Puget Sound. Along with all the family members, came an uninvited guest.
In the middle of the meal, a small(ish) rat ran across the white carpeting, right past everyone in the dining room and into the kitchen! It created quite a hoopla. My son and nephews chased it into the m-i-l's bedroom, where it climbed into her bed between the sheets. So of course, that's where they managed to kill it, with no little bloodshed. :confused: Good thing sheets can be washed.

Tasty looking turkey! My wife wouldn’t let me toss one on the rotisserie.

I haven't seen those boneless roasts, it looks delicious! I'm a dark meat lover, the only one in the family.

Mike

Good looking turkey! Speaking of those roasts, I’ve been stocking up on them to have throughout the year.

I still haven’t smoked one yet.

I haven't seen those boneless roasts, it looks delicious! I'm a dark meat lover, the only one in the family.

Mike
I think they make roasts with both dark and white meat, I like both, but these are the ones I found.

Last edited:
Good looking turkey! Speaking of those roasts, I’ve been stocking up on them to have throughout the year.

I still haven’t smoked one yet.
I don't think I've found any that were more convenient and easy to do. I've also got a half dozen bone-in breasts in the freezer, about 9 lbs each. They were on sale for $.97 lb., practically unheard of around here. I'll be getting to them in the next few months. I'd really like to try them out on my GMG Daniel Boone, but have to wait for a weekend day w/o rain.

The roast are really good eats . The ones I buy here are white and dark meat . Texture is different than whole breast .

I got the same thing, for the first time. I wanted a bone-in breast but the case was cleaned out on Thursday morning. I'd never seen turkey in a net like that but I have worked with pork like that.

I only got one; I thawed it in water and cut it out of the net. It was in three pieces, two small and one large. I fried the small pieces as snacks and smoked the big piece. It worked out well, a quick and easy smoke. I have leftovers which should be perfect for slicing into sandwiches.

As for the rat, you should have gone after it with Herb Alpert's trumpet.

Reactions: mike5051
Like most of the others I've never seen those. Gonna be looking but I'll have to find one with both white and dark or get one if eack. Miss Linda's not big in spatchcocked. Says there's to many bone fragments. Might just be me--never heard anybody else having this problem.
Yours look great. Real nice color. I've never tried orange juice in a turkey brine. Does the flavor come thriugh??
Gary

I think they make roasts with both dark and white meat, I like both, but these are the ones I found.

All Looks Great mneeley!!!
The thing that's nice about those are the nice slices you can get for Sammies!!
"Like" it.

Bear

Like most of the others I've never seen those. Gonna be looking but I'll have to find one with both white and dark or get one if eack. Miss Linda's not big in spatchcocked. Says there's to many bone fragments. Might just be me--never heard anybody else having this problem.
Yours look great. Real nice color. I've never tried orange juice in a turkey brine. Does the flavor come thriugh??
Gary

LOL---Tell her next time you'll use a knife or scissors, instead of that Hand Ax!!

Bear

Miss Linda's not big in spatchcocked.

Gary

Oh you have a Linda. too? I'm coming up on my 19th anniversary with mine.

I have three cleaver-style knives. One is a basic vegetable chopper which is handy for a lot of tasks but I never swing it like a cleaver.

I want to go to my grave with all of my left hand.

So that brings up the bigger cleavers: MANUFACTURE STAINLESS which is a large Chinese-style cleaver with some curve to the blade which suggests a rocking motion. I can spatchcock a chicken or turkey with it when I hammer it with my (now still intact) left hand on the back of the blade.

Then there's Dexter. I'm actually afraid of the thing. It really does have the heft of an axe and I suppose it's made for swinging through a carcass. Did I mention wanting to keep my left hand? It would be interesting to take a lesson from a butcher who uses that kind of knife all the time.

"Keep out of reach of children" I keep the big knives up high out of reach.

LOL---We all have our own Miss Linda.
I've had mine 49 years next month.
And I don't even own a Meat Cleaver, or a Beaver Cleaver!!:D

Bear

Great looking breasts ya have there... Too bad they're store bought.:rolleyes:

Heck yeah those things count, my mother has been doing them instead of whole turkeys ever since I brought some to the house for her to roast one Thanksgiving Eve.
I've never smoked one, yet, sounds like yours turned out really good, that's encouraging.
I bet the hilarity of the great rat chase of 2017 will be remembered for a long time.
What no smoked rodent pics?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky