Nothing like a bacon and tomato sammie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
grow them anyway you can.

That's right! We grow them in pots as well. Over this past winter after we ran out of homegrown, I tried a bunch of different types of supermarket tomatoes. I decided never to buy them again. They are all worthless, tasteless crap with the possible exception of cherry, which are marginally better. Luckily, in California we have a long tomato season so we only have to tough it out about 4 months.

BLT are what I always make when the first ones ripen.

Reactions: martin1950
Is it okay to call miracle whip, mayo?

It's illegal in certain parts of Ohio. :emoji_laughing: Was raised on MW and wife "converted" me to Hellman's. Wife's family calls MW salad dressing. It's is no joke a real thing for us. Most pizza joints here use MW instead of mayo for subs that are advertised as having mayo. Kid you not, we say hold the mayo and apply at home. I need to try Duke's but admit I one time bought extra heavy mayo from GFS and it was killer.

Oh yeah! Homegrown takes BLT to a completely other level. My parents do beefsteak exclusively for BLT. LOL The memories. 95F out, no AC, smell of bacon in air, 5G water boiling corn, kitchen is like 150F...

If you take the greens ones no blemishes and wrap them in news paper and pack in a box they will ripen over time. Here we turn cold enough to hurt tomato plants in Oct. but this gives us tomatoes up to Christmas. Just keep checking them.

Warren

That's right! We grow them in pots as well.
BLT are what I always make when the first ones ripen.

Here in S/W. MI. you never know when spring or fall will start. Did my 20 buckets of assorted veggies in the basement in Feb. and March. Everything is fertilized w/ road apples. Haven't been on the site that so I've gotta ask, where did ya get your bacon seeds?

Easy.....
53fc9519e386b.jpeg

Steve H Steve H

Between the tomato sandwich and the pepper shooters....you got me jonesing. So I went home on my lunch break from work and prepped a tomato sandwich. Best I could do with what I had lol! I swung by the local grocery store, they didn’t have stuffed peppers though :emoji_disappointed:. Guess it’s time to make my own!
5985E77F-BEDD-433F-B129-4CC4ACC5E8DF.jpeg

Reactions: Steve H
Great Looking Sammies, Steve!!
Mrs Bear & I can eat either, but we both prefer Miracle Whip, because it has a tang to it, and isn't Bland like Mayo.
WE used to keep a small jar of Mayo in the Fridge before Bear Jr got married & moved out. Now if he wants Mayo he has to bring his own if he eats here.

We still don't have any Fresh Maters around here, so I might have to make a Miracle Whip & Bacon Sammy soon.
Like.

Bear

Steve H Steve H

Between the tomato sandwich and the pepper shooters....you got me jonesing. So I went home on my lunch break from work and prepped a tomato sandwich. Best I could do with what I had lol! I swung by the local grocery store, they didn’t have stuffed peppers though :emoji_disappointed:. Guess it’s time to make my own!View attachment 401273

I do love tomato sandwiches. Fresh with either mayo. Or Miracle whip works here. With white bread. Or sliced Italian bread.

Great Looking Sammies, Steve!!
Mrs Bear & I can eat either, but we both prefer Miracle Whip, because it has a tang to it, and isn't Bland like Mayo.
WE used to keep a small jar of Mayo in the Fridge before Bear Jr got married & moved out. Now if he wants Mayo he has to bring his own if he eats here.

We still don't have any Fresh Maters around here, so I might have to make a Miracle Whip & Bacon Sammy soon.
Like.

Bear

We have farmers stands here that sell "fresh maters" but they are not local grown. There are, however, farmers with green houses that do have fresh ones. Still have not found any fresh beefsteak tomatoes yet. They are my favorite for sandwiches.

We have farmers stands here that sell "fresh maters" but they are not local grown. There are, however, farmers with green houses that do have fresh ones. Still have not found any fresh beefsteak tomatoes yet. They are my favorite for sandwiches.

The last Tomato plants we grew got to be 17' high, and I can't be getting a Stepladder out every day to pick Maters.
And the last few years everybody around here has had trouble growing Maters because it never stops freaking Raining!!!
And the Store-bought Maters around here are better than they used to be, but still can't come close to a home grown.

Bear

20190718_190854.jpg
Tomatoes, Miracle Whip and Tajin here, it goes great on pineapple melon and just about everything else. this tomato came in at just over a pound with my average yield of cherries for a typical day. And yes I don't quite need a ladder but most my plants are 6 and 7 ft.

Reactions: Steve H
We love BLT's. Mom would change up with Grilled Cheese and Tomato. Some good eating there to...JJ

Now I have to make a BLT without the L! Yrs ago at the cannery we had a couple hamburgers sent over from the restaurant next door. The other guy said "this looks pretty good!" I said yeah except for the lettuce. "You don't like lettuce?" Nope, watch. I threw it to a seagull (basically a flying rat that eats rotten fish and everything else). It picked it up and then spit it out and flew off. Case closed. :)

Fresh tomatoes every day here for the past month or so but they are winding down now. Beefsteaks, Celebrities, and Rutger's Heirlooms are what we are eating.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky