Nothing like a bacon and tomato sammie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Had the hankering for a BLT. But had no lettuce. So, a tomato and Bacon sammie is in order.
Started out getting a pack of my home made bacon out of the fridge and let it thaw. Then on to the build.
P7232681.jpg

P7232683.jpg

P7232685.jpg

Time to dig in!

I'll be honest, I think the only time I've ever had lettuce on a BLT was when I got one at a restaurant. Maybe...MAYBE once or twice when I was growing up did we actually have the lettuce for it and even then I doubt I used it.

That was the first for me. I was nicely surprised with the flavor.

Looks awesome. I’m a lettuce on kinda guy but as one of my buddies once told me, lettuce is rabbit food!

One of the things I really enjoy about this forum is learning about new things. Tajin sounds like a great spice blend. I'm hoping to find it locally.

We actually use a lot of lettuce on ours. So many slight variations to plain ole BLT that provide different results, like mayo choice. I like mine lightly toasted, wife likes dark. Definitely season tomato, we just SP and sometimes just Frank's. Parents use celery salt. One thing we do and it may sound weird is we make them in advance and cover and chill. Takes the edge off the crust and eliminates the damage to the roof of your mouth... Nearly every time we make them the side is corn on the cob. Both my and wife's family did their whole lives. Local sweet corn is just arriving and then we will do this meal 1x per week minimum. Sometimes we add deli turkey and make them a club.

Steve, I make mine the same way, bacon, tomato and MIRACLE WHIP, no rabbit food. Had to laugh when I saw your post. An hour ago I mention to the wife about the color starting on my romas and sandwich tomatoes in my bucket garden, can't wait.
20190723_102926.jpg
20190723_102946.jpg

Reactions: Steve H and zwiller
Reactions: martin1950
Looks awesome Steve! You just can’t beat a good BLT...lettuce optional*

Might ruffle some feathers here, but I was never a big mayo person growing up. Sure I like mine on a blt.

So mayo and miracle whip are two different things?? I always thought it was brand loyalty or a preference like pepsi/coke.

Is it okay to call miracle whip, mayo?

Looks awesome Steve! You just can’t beat a good BLT...lettuce optional*

Might ruffle some feathers here, but I was never a big mayo person growing up. Sure I like mine on a blt.

So mayo and miracle whip are two different things?? I always thought it was brand loyalty or a preference like pepsi/coke.

Is it okay to call miracle whip, mayo?

Yes they are different brands. Miracle Whip has a bolder flavor. It would be blasphemy to call Miracle whip mayo!! J/K but the are quite different.

Reactions: martin1950
So mayo and miracle whip are two different things??

Yeah, they taste very different. Miracle whip has much less fat, but contains a lot of sugar. Mayo has little if any sugar. I use Mayo on savory foods and I don't really care for the sweet taste that Miracle whip adds. But like most things, it probably depends on what you grew up on.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky