Noooo!! 1st Butt - A little anxious now...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SGMan

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 12, 2019
P-Town Virginia
Well, in my first attempt at a pork butt I also had my first (lesson learned) messup...

My external MB mox/AMNPS tray caught fire. I came home from lunch to find this - (thank you windy day)

391506-65bda8a7262d7a09c5035494c0a489ba.jpg

I think the most of the saving grace here is the fact that most of the nasty smoke, went out of the tube and not into the smoker itself. (Although I cant be entirely sure)

This happened in the realm of 4 to 4.5 hours of smoke (I cant be sure) but at least my butt came to temp in time :p

Time to clean the MB of the black soot and find a better hose setup. Apparently this one was high temp but not flame resistant temp!

Should I be worried on the butt being too creosote'd because of this flare up?

Last edited:
use a vent pipe...and you do not want a sag in the line, you will be trying to push hot air down, won't work properly, will interfere with your draft.

So I should be using a vent pipe on the exit port of the MES correct?

Or be using vent pipe to route my mod into the MES?

So I should be using a vent pipe on the exit port of the MES correct?

Or be using vent pipe to route my mod into the MES?
from the tin can to the MES... I would not go shorter than a 3' run, but that's just my opinion... The old timers hung the meat no closer than 5' to the fire....and 3' will give the smoke plenty of time to cool off...

I might even consider turning your popcorn tin in it's side. Keep the pipe where it's at. That way if it flames up in the future the flames will burn towards the top of the tin rather than towards your pipe

You will get better cooling because of smoke contact with the metal can as it rises, then turns to go to the MES along the pipe....But that's my opinion....I'm sure there are guys using tin cans like you have set up and it's working fine for them.

@johnmeyer should be able to help you...

Thanks for the suggestions.

I think a big part of my issue today was the strong winds. Although I have my setup in an enclosed screened porch, the winds seemed to cause enough of a draft to ignite my pellets and catch the aluminum flex hose on fire (thus causing more holes and even more airflow)

Still getting down some of the basics - but thank you all for your continued help!

Should I be worried on the butt being too creosote'd because of this flare up?

SGMan I'm not a safety expert, but creosote from the poorly smoking pellets may be the least of my worries. Dryer vents just don't flame-up and extinguish themselves. They tend to smolder/burn relatively slow for a while. Personally if it were me I'd cut my losses and toss the butt.

Here's a video of someone lighting one up intentionally

Chris.

p.s. I'm not meaning to come off as an alarmist. Just want to make sure folks have information to make their own judgement.

Reactions: SGMan
08E71B9C-E1C4-4EA4-A270-DF9C71F6857E.png
Your dryer vent isn’t even rated for a gas dryer let alone something burning underneath it, if you are going to use a flexible dryer vent in the future use the actual aluminum flex not the foil type. You can pick them up for sub $10 at Lowe’s or HD.

Reactions: indaswamp and SGMan
And I am hoping you have good insurance, if that fire took place in an enclosed screened porch. Please be careful...

And I am hoping you have good insurance, if that fire took place in an enclosed screened porch. Please be careful...

It wasn't really a fire (per se) as much as a controlled burn in my popcorn tin/AMANPS. Trust me, I thought ahead of the risk of this spot catching fire. I made attempts to minimize the risk. (I want to be able to smoke again another day!)

I have seen gas dryers do that to them, makes a lot more of a mess in a laundry room than on the porch I’m sure.

Thankfully for you all ended fairly well

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky