Next door neighbor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
HA! Funny direction THAT took :-)

I think you'll be fine with your chickens and whatever else you smoke. As long as you have it set up right, you won't be unintentionally blowing smoke in their windows. Then someday, they will get just a whiff of smoke....sweet smelling smoke. If you catch them looking, offer some que later when it's done.
tongue.gif

From where I was as a BBQ man, compared to after 15-18 months on this site, I know I could do that on any future neighbor...make it a goal to do that as well, with yours! Turn them to the smokey side.

* OR - if they seriously ARE so cruddy and rude that this plan won't work...blackmail them somehow. *

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Reminds me of a problem I had many years ago when I was renting with a couple of college buddies. WE moved into a house which had 2 apartments in it. We were the downstairs apartment. After the first few days of being there (we were working, going to school and moving) the upstairs tenant called the landlord to tell him she was moving out. She couldn't deal with all the late night noise.

Landlord called us up. Gave us the lowdown and as we were college kids and new to the house told us to quiet down or get out.

Having been a cook in some fashion or another for many many years I decided I would just make it so that this 50 year old spinster (well spinster to a young 20 yo kid) wouldn't want to complain anymore.

I baked up some of my pepperoni and cheddar bread. After it was done I wrapped it in a towel, walked over and knocked on her door (separate entrances were great) and said "Hi. I thought I would come over and introduce myself and I come bearing gifts."

2 hours and a 12 pack of beer late we were the best of friends. We never had another problem with her after that.

Good luck with the loon next to you. Some people can't be reasoned with, but food can certainly go a long way to helping.

Bible study..... Figures that you would have a problem with him. In my past experiences I would say that you are screwed. There is no way you can win. I would suggest that you keep your distance, but I would call the police if the neighbors guests block your driveway.

Good luck and keep us informed.
biggrin.gif

How was the chicken by the way?

Lots of good advice on this one so far. Id say the weather is cooling so yeah, like mentioned earlier, his windows will be shut. Be the big man and maybe offer him some BBQ with an apology and tell him that you relocated the smoker. And if being nice don't work, throw a road flare through his window. Ok, maybe not that one, but this Spring, you could always spray his lawn with round-up.
biggrin.gif
I can not believe the cops would say they have to look into a burn permit. I feel for ya on this one. Some people are just born fun haters.

yeah I think the cop was off base, there is no way the city could keep up with the fire permits if you needed one every time you wanted to cook outside, even yankees in NYC grill out sometimes, here there are laws against burning outside for any reason OTHER than cooking, I have a 2 year old hotdog on a stick all burnt and tarnished that I keep around my firepit so if the cops come I can prove that 26 x 30 box of three foot tall flames is for cooking
biggrin.gif
If one ever presses me to eat it I will have to say that one is a little to done for me do you want it? With the kid around we got hotdogs 24/7 365 so I have actually cooked them on this firepit.
I would suspect any normal person would simply close their windows, you could always wait until the wind is blowing to him and boil up a couple gallons of pig blood, after that the smell of smoke and que will be welcome

One possible option would be to figure out a way to channel the smoke over some cold ice water setup such that you can make your own liquid smoke.

Then sell the liquid smoke to generate additional bail money, for when you dont feel like going to that effort. :D

Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd forget about calling for every little thing your neighbors do. It will only make both households a PITA to the police who should be doing more important things.

What did the cops charge you with???? Let us know what the judge says.

Since the EPA has reduced Roundup to nothing more than colored water...try Muriatic Acid .....it kills and kills and kills.

Don't know bout yer parts, but round here there ain't a da*n thin they can do bout it, I know cause I got a nieghbor like yours, she's a vegatarin er whatever.

Habitat builds em a nice new house they move in an wanna start tellin me what to do after 48 years? Nope, cops an fire dept show up, fireman says ain't nothin they can do.

Next weekend, same thin.

Had a caterin job with lots a leftovers, took it all to the fire dept. Them fellers loved it. Third time the cops an fire dept show up, fireman says "hey yer the guy that brought us all the food", yup that was me, he tells the cop next time she calls there gonna charge her with makin false reports. A little bribary works ya know!

She's got 2 dogs that do nothin but bark all day an night, she would be severly offended if somebody called the cops on them yappin dust mops a hers.

as an ambassador of food i am all for extending the "smoked wing" with an apology to smooth things out. if that don't work order up an 84" lang and fire it up!

In my younger days, Now that the statute of limitations is up, we had a mayor we didn't like...

Mixed 5lbs of Atrazine in 2 - 5 gal buckets of water and ran through his yard and dumped it...

He moved out of state...

The guy that bought the house couldn't figure why he couldn't grow grass or anything 10 yrs later...

We told him that corn would be a good thing to grow in his front yard...

He had to dig it up and put in new soil...

Just a thought from my wilder days... LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif

I noticed in your orginal post you talked about using wood as your primary heat source? I do know you are going to generate a lot more smoke using just wood - have you considered switching to lump charcoal with an occasional chunk of wood thrown in just for flavor?

I have a chargriller with the side fire box as well. I start it using a minion method with lump, then once it is up to temp and I have added the meat, I take a fist sized lump of hickory and toss it in. I add about 1 lump of hickory every 45 minutes to 1 hr. for the first 3 hours then stop. I get a few minutes of billowy white smoke right after I add each lump, but then it settles down to a thin blue stream (barely visible).

I still get great flavor and beutifull smoke rings, but definately not enough smoke to annoy any neighbors. Of course my neighbors do have the torture of having to smell wonderfull "Q" all day while I am cooking heh-heh...
biggrin.gif

I'd say that you should offer him some 'Que, but it sounds like he is not a rational person, so that probably won't work. Mrs. Engineer would probably try to difuse the situation while I would be more inclined to drag his sorry butt into the street and issue up an old fashion as$ whoopin'. But that's just me.

Good thing I married Mrs. Engineer...she can usually calm me down. So I'd be left with moving, or relocating the smoker. I'd start with #2. If that wouldn't work, being an engineer, I'd start researching a smoke scrubber type of system to cleans the air from the smoker so Mr. "Turd in the punch bowl" wouldn't be offended.

It really pisses me off when our whole society has to bow down to the most easily offended in every crowd.

The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs...

Being the pacifist that I am, I'd try and talk to him once. If that didn't work out, I'd ask that bible thumper if he would like to meet the man he is having those bible meetings for (God).....
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky