Newbie that's really struggling with bark

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

al4nw31

Original poster
Apr 16, 2020
Hi,

I'm currently running a Camp Chef pellet smoker, and am really struggling to get bark development.

My rub is salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.

I'm smoking at 275 degrees, and can't seem to get bark even at the 5 hour mark, when the meat is basically done. At that point, the meat is starting to get dry, and there's barely any bark formed.

I'm using a smoke tube, but only filling it half way.

I'm theorizing that I need to reduce the heat, but there is just too much conflicting information. Some say use sugar. Others say sugar is just for color. Some say lower temperature for more time. Some say higher temperature for better bark formation. Some say add a water pan (but it's already crazy humid).

I can't even spritz or wrap because the bark is just non-existent.

One thing I do know is that it's very humid right now, and I'm assuming that's likely one of the factors in the slow bark formation.

Thanks.

Sugar in some from, or you will never see good bark in my experience. They get ok bark Texas style (salt and pepper rub) but they smoke 18 hours or more. Put some brown sugar in your rub, and like magic, you will have “bark”.

What cut of meat specifically are you trying to develop bark on? In my experience I've also had little to no bark at the 5-Hour mark. That being said most cuts of meat I'm looking for a bark on take much much longer times than 5 hours before they're finished.

Reactions: fivetricks
I only smoke low and slow 225 if doing a butt for pulled pork can take me up to 16 hours. Always have a good bark and I don't wrap. I do use water pan in my propane smoker. Do not have a problem with it being dry. Just my $.02 You will learn that you will have to do trial and error until you find what works for you. A lot of the information on here is based on personal preference.

Warren

Last edited:
I was talking about this and reading posts about this tonight. Many people recommend sugar in the raw (Turbonado) sugar instead of brown sugar. I’ve also seen that celery seeds can help with bark formation. Harry Sooloo or whatever his name is recommended it.

By adding a little brown or sugar in the raw and using coarse salt, black pepper and any other coarse spices that you can crush or grind yourself you'll find the bark that you're looking for.

Reactions: FreddieKU
size of meat and internal temp? bark is overrated imo, bark is dried out meat and seasonings ,some folks crave it others like me don't need it to have a good tasting meal, kinda like a smoke ring to me. Nice to have a little but not necessary in the end lol

My rub is salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika.

I'm smoking at 275 degrees, and can't seem to get bark even at the 5 hour mark, when the meat is basically done. At that point, the meat is starting to get dry, and there's barely any bark formed.

That's the rub and temp i use (no sugar), and i wrap when the bark looks good.

what are you smoking for 5 hours?

Welcome!

Search pellicle. For butts I do an overnight uncovered rest. Even with no rub, mine resembles a meteor when done. :emoji_laughing:Not everyone is into bark but we sure are!

I also agree something is amiss with 5hrs with a butt being done. Mine average 15hrs @275F and 8lbs.

Reactions: Fueling Around
As a newbie, how is it that my 9lb butt was done in 8 hours at 250 and yours can go 15 at 275?

I don’t understand smoking sometimes lol

Reactions: Ksrgolf
Idk how yours was done in 9. A lot depends on how the butt is constructed in an intramuscular sense. Also different cookers have different cooking times. My UDS for example cooks things very fast. I've always told myself that it has to do with the increased humidity and possibly slightly increase pressure within the sealed drum. But I'm no scientist :-)

Time is not the factor as much as internal temperature.
A bone in shoulder is a solid and intact chunk of pork may take a very long time to get past a 200° internal temperature required to break down all the internal fats, connective tissue, and collagen to give you the proper pulled pork.

I don't like a caramelized sugar bark. I echo mike243 mike243 as even no sugar rub bark is often dried out meat.

I was talking about this and reading posts about this tonight. Many people recommend sugar in the raw (Turbonado) sugar instead of brown sugar. I’ve also seen that celery seeds can help with bark formation. Harry Sooloo or whatever his name is recommended it.
The celery seed thing is interesting, will have to read up on that.

Reactions: FreddieKU
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky