Newbie Smoker, Which Smoker To Get, questions please **HELP**

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
ok so i went and got some cheese to try today, using the amz, i found some issues w/ it, so far i have been having problems keeping it going, i went out an hour later and it was out, no heat other than the amz, it is only 14* out, not sure if thats why, so i stopped it and nuked it for 90 mixed and another 90, not smokin a ton but seems to be goin, can you smoke too long? esp w/ it being so cold out? here are some pics so far more to come, bottom one is a dill cheese i found at aldi's, we have mozz, sharp, ny sharp, mild sharp, colby jack, chedder.
2ab9156a_DSC01105.jpg
a8e9b058_DSC01107.jpg
72c607d0_DSC01106.jpg

PS, i want to show it in the cheese section, how do i start a new thread again?
Go to the Forum Navigation box above clicking on the arrow just left of Subsriptions. Down five from the bottom is Cheese and select. Then, Go and then finally Start a New Thread. You can also go to Forum on the header and choose your selections there which threads/sections you want to navigate to. That route, you'd select Cold Smoking to get to cheese.

Last edited:
Lakeeriearms,

People are gonna tell you all kinds of reasons for why your AMNS went out, like not enough air in the smoker, etc, etc.

They'll tell you to pull your chip dumper out, or open your door a little, etc, etc.

IMO this has nothing to do with it in am MES---There's plenty of air in that smoker.

The main thing is to have dry dust (low humidity).

Then the only thing left is to get it lit RIGHT!

You have to get a nice thick cherry of burning dust. Then let it sit a minute or two, and notice how the cherry is getting smaller.

Now just blow lightly on it until the cherry grows & it starts smoking like crazy.

Now let it sit some more---DO NOT PUT IT IN YET !

Now look again---Did the cherry get smaller again?

If not blow lightly on it again & put it in the smoker.

Now it should not go out.

Mine used to go out until I started doing this---If it isn't lit right to start with, it will go out.

Bear

Good Call on the 40" MES

I'm running mine right now and it's -4° outside.  I bet Masterbuilt never tested their smokers in this kind of cold!!!

To clean the glass, I wait until it cools down ant then scrape it with a razor blade.

Put the racks in the dishwasher after every use, and they'll stay nice and shiny.

Cover the water pan and lower drip pan with foil for easy clean up.

ENJOY!!!

Todd

so heres my final product, i started them at 4pm and finished at 9pm due the all the troubles, thanks bear, i think that i just have to get a better cherry b4 putting it in, i closed the damper slightly and seemed to help, i act. had to stamp out the cherry at 9, although it wasn't barreling out smoke, i know that you don't need a ton of smoke for flavor and mine was slight but steady, not bad for teens if not (-)'s *. Once done, i did notice a bitter taste, next question is how long to leave in the fridge, i vac. sealed right away, is that ok? i have read anywhere from 2wks to 9 mo, also how long will it stay in the fridge sealed, i don't really want to freeze if i don't have to, you can tell i couldn't wait and had some mozz and dill, that was all that was left of the dill. thanks for all your help, ps now that i did my first cold smoke and smoke of the machine, do i have to wipe it down or steam it and re-crisco it? or just roll w/ it, and do i ever have to re-coat/season it?
b6d82015_DSC01108.jpg
1fa505b5_DSC01109.jpg
dad99885_DSC01110.jpg

We just wash the grills & the water pan, and clean the glass window & the light lens after every smoke.

Unless I get some kind of heavy build-up on the walls or ceiling that might drip on my food---that's it.

I would let it mellow (wrapped) for about 14 days---10 at least!

Somebody else will have to help you with how long to keep cheese. I never made enough at one time to worry about it, but I think you can keep it vacuum packed in the fridge for quite a few months.

Bear

Good Call on the 40" MES

I'm running mine right now and it's -4° outside.  I bet Masterbuilt never tested their smokers in this kind of cold!!!

To clean the glass, I wait until it cools down ant then scrape it with a razor blade.

Put the racks in the dishwasher after every use, and they'll stay nice and shiny.

Cover the water pan and lower drip pan with foil for easy clean up.

ENJOY!!!

Todd
Hey Todd I got a tip for you. Instead of using a razor blade just soak a paper towel with rubbing alcohol & it will clean the window real easily. If it's really caked on, like you haven't cleaned it in a couple of months. Then you may want to scrape it first with a blade, but it's not necessary. You will just use a few more paper towels.

so heres my final product, i started them at 4pm and finished at 9pm due the all the troubles, thanks bear, i think that i just have to get a better cherry b4 putting it in, i closed the damper slightly and seemed to help, i act. had to stamp out the cherry at 9, although it wasn't barreling out smoke, i know that you don't need a ton of smoke for flavor and mine was slight but steady, not bad for teens if not (-)'s *. Once done, i did notice a bitter taste, next question is how long to leave in the fridge, i vac. sealed right away, is that ok? i have read anywhere from 2wks to 9 mo, also how long will it stay in the fridge sealed, i don't really want to freeze if i don't have to, you can tell i couldn't wait and had some mozz and dill, that was all that was left of the dill. thanks for all your help, ps now that i did my first cold smoke and smoke of the machine, do i have to wipe it down or steam it and re-crisco it? or just roll w/ it, and do i ever have to re-coat/season it?
b6d82015_DSC01108.jpg
1fa505b5_DSC01109.jpg
dad99885_DSC01110.jpg
After looking at your photo's I'm not seeing any smoke color on the cheese. If you say it tastes bitter then it probably has plenty of smoke. A couple of weeks in the fridge & it will be ready to eat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky