Newbie Smoker from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by bchase, Mar 20, 2016.

1. bchase

bchase Newbie

Hello from Conway Arkansas.

I have read a lot of information in this forum already.  Great resource.  I just got me a Weber 18.5" Smokey Mountain and plan to do a pork butt tomorrow.

Previously I was experimenting with indirect heat on a Master Forge grill.. But I am excited to now have a WSM unit.

I will be using a sticky from Meowey I read tonight on here as a cheat sheet for the smoke. [​IMG]

I will let you know how it goes!

Barry

2. gearjammer

gearjammer Master of the Pit

Welcome Barry, this is probably a dumb question, but you did season that nice new smoker?

This is a great place you have come to, have fun.

Keep on smokin'                                     Ed

3. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Welcome to SMF!

Glad to have you aboard!

Looking forward to seeing how that butt turns out.

Al

4. joe black

joe black Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Welcome from SC, Barry. I hope you will enjoy this great site. I know you will like your WSM. They don't really require much season due to their hard finish. I had one for years and I know you will get a lot of good meat from it.

Good luck and good smokin', Joe. :grilling_smilie:

5. bchase

bchase Newbie

Hello all,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

GearJammer - I was not planning on seasoning it.  I've read where it's not completely necessary in other posts.

I thought briefly about firing some charcoal only up and running 300-400 for a bit first, but from other posts I've seen a lot of people just put a butt on first and go with it.

Barry

6. 1961shasta

1961shasta Fire Starter

Welcome, I'm just down the road from you in Searcy and joined yesterday.