Newbie help

Discussion in 'Pork' started by vaturkey, Sep 8, 2007.

1. vaturkey

vaturkey Newbie

Just joined and now I need help. I've got a gas weber and the old kettle style and want to smoke up a bunch of pork loins for a office function happening next week. I'd like to smoke them up using apple wood and then shred them for sandwiches. Any recommendations/advise would be greatly appreciated. PS> My one question is do I cook them for just a couple of hours, or can I cook them until they basically fall apart, or is that even doable with something other then a pork shoulder or boston butt type piece of meat. Thanks folks.[​IMG]

2. triple b

triple b Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

In my opinion you'd be better off using a butt or shoulder for pulling(shredding).
    And you'd end up with a more moist and tastier product.

3. seaham358

seaham358 Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I 2nd that..
    A loin could be sliced and used that way. Never heard of pulled loins? waiting to see if there is such a thing. One of the senior members may know.

4. meowey

meowey Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Loins are fairly lean. They are great sliced. For pulled pork, I think your best bet would be pork shoulder (butt).

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

5. gypsyseagod

gypsyseagod Master of the Pit OTBS Member

if i have any hunk a hide... i smoke it fer a bit, maybe wrap it & 225-250 in the oven(ya said kettle...)if yer worried & don't have a really reliable smoker...let it be wrapped & slow simmered after a couple hours in smoke... i been here a while & been cooking professionally fer over 20 years... that means i have screwed up quite a few meals....the best advice is don't rush it. i have a feeling you'll do well...
    i reread yer initial post... a loin... i'd sear,wrap & simmer...hot & fast sear then really low & short & sweeet fer the smoke.... loins don't do low & slow well... steam after an hour smoke works well.

6. chrish

chrish Smoking Fanatic

Pork shoulders or butts would work out better with your needs here, and it will take more then just a few hrs to smoke but when your done it will be fall "fall apart" tender.

7. adb551

adb551 Smoke Blower

I agree, shoulder and butts are better for what you want to do (I assume pulled/shredded sandwich type?), loins are fairly lean and are gonna be better sliced.