Newbie help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

vaturkey

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Just joined and now I need help. I've got a gas weber and the old kettle style and want to smoke up a bunch of pork loins for a office function happening next week. I'd like to smoke them up using apple wood and then shred them for sandwiches. Any recommendations/advise would be greatly appreciated. PS> My one question is do I cook them for just a couple of hours, or can I cook them until they basically fall apart, or is that even doable with something other then a pork shoulder or boston butt type piece of meat. Thanks folks.
PDT_Armataz_01_22.gif

I 2nd that..
A loin could be sliced and used that way. Never heard of pulled loins? waiting to see if there is such a thing. One of the senior members may know.

Loins are fairly lean. They are great sliced. For pulled pork, I think your best bet would be pork shoulder (butt).

Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

if i have any hunk a hide... i smoke it fer a bit, maybe wrap it & 225-250 in the oven(ya said kettle...)if yer worried & don't have a really reliable smoker...let it be wrapped & slow simmered after a couple hours in smoke... i been here a while & been cooking professionally fer over 20 years... that means i have screwed up quite a few meals....the best advice is don't rush it. i have a feeling you'll do well...
i reread yer initial post... a loin... i'd sear,wrap & simmer...hot & fast sear then really low & short & sweeet fer the smoke.... loins don't do low & slow well... steam after an hour smoke works well.

Pork shoulders or butts would work out better with your needs here, and it will take more then just a few hrs to smoke but when your done it will be fall "fall apart" tender.

I agree, shoulder and butts are better for what you want to do (I assume pulled/shredded sandwich type?), loins are fairly lean and are gonna be better sliced.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky