Newbie from Texas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chaselee

Original poster
Apr 6, 2018
Hey yall from Texas. Ive always been a gas, charcoil grill kind of guy but always wanted to try smoking. I finally picked up a masterbuilt elite 30" propane smoker. I have literally never ever smoked anything. Well on a pit anyway:). Always loved BBQ so I figured id get me one and start fiddling with it. First smoke this weekend, just not sure what I want to try first. Thinking ribs...

Howdy, Chaselee, welcome to SMF! Glad you're here with the new smoker and ready to start making it earn its keep.

First smoke? Spare ribs are more forgiving that baby backs. Heat, time, smoke, and no peeking work best. Take some pictures and let us know how the first smoke went for you.

Enjoy the forum!

Ray

Welcome Chaselee!!
Good to have you join us!:)

Since you got an MES 30, here's a whole mess of things you can easily do with it.
They're all in Step by Step form, so it's easy to get started:
Just click on "Bear's Step by Steps".

Bear

Bear I see the write ups on the elec smokers, do you have any on the propane like mine? I did the preseason lastnight for 3 hours and fought the temps the whole time. I am going to get a CIS for the wood. Hopefully that will help the wood flaring up. Seemed like the temp was either way too low or way too high most of the time. Thanks

Welcome C! Yeah you need to run the smoker a bit just to learn how it behaves. I suggest you try smoking chicken parts first because they're quick and simple and inexpensive if the try fails.

Bear I see the write ups on the elec smokers, do you have any on the propane like mine? I did the preseason lastnight for 3 hours and fought the temps the whole time. I am going to get a CIS for the wood. Hopefully that will help the wood flaring up. Seemed like the temp was either way too low or way too high most of the time. Thanks

No, I'm sorry, I'm a Wattburner, and only use Propane to heat my house and Grill on my Weber "Q".

However there are a lot of Propane experts here that I'm sure will be glad to help.
If one doesn't show up here soon, start another thread, with the actual question for the subject.
You might want to do a search on it first. The search engine here is Awesome!!

Bear

With propane a needle valve works well in the supply line.
You get a more precise gas flow adjustment.
It will get easier with experience.
I can tell you what temp the smoker will settle in at, just by looking at the flame when I start it up.
Al

I didn't look at it very closely. Can you just unscrew the line and ad one downstream of the regulator?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky