New Yoder 640 on the way!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Breaking it in with a good breakfast, this thing is pretty versatile.
puny9yna.jpg
i have 4 racks of rib setting up in the fridge and going to start on some ABT's for my first smoke!

Learned my first pellet smoker lesson, never never let ur smoker run out of pellets. I did on my third smoke, I saw my temp go down on my remote so I went to check it. I found I ran out of pellets so I refilled the hopper and waited, the temp didn't go up so I prime it a couple times. Waited still nothing so I unplugged the smoker and plugged it back in, ah heat so i went back in the house and watched my temp go up. And go up past 300 degrees, so I went outside to see smoke pouring out of the smoker. So long story short, the fire went out the pellets piled up and lit up when I replugged it back in and the igniter lit then off. So I let them burn out cleaned up the mess. And learned a good lesson.

Kind of like waiting on the arrival of a new baby !!!   Congrats

Gary

I fully realize I am probably going to make an idiot out of myself with this question.  Or these questions, but.......... 

What is the heat source for this smoker?  Is it the pellets, or is that only for the smoke?  If it's the heat source and the smoke source, how long do they last, and doesn't that produce too much smoke?  And if the pellets are the heat source, are the temps even over the whole cooking area?

Thanks in advance. It's a very nice looking smoker, and the food looks great, congrats. 

The pellets are the heat source as well as the smoke source. The lower the cook temp, the more smoke is generated. You get less smoke with higher temps. How even the grill cooks depends on how good the grill is and how well you can dial it in.

I fully realize I am probably going to make an idiot out of myself with this question.  Or these questions, but.......... 

What is the heat source for this smoker?  Is it the pellets, or is that only for the smoke?  If it's the heat source and the smoke source, how long do they last, and doesn't that produce too much smoke?  And if the pellets are the heat source, are the temps even over the whole cooking area?

Thanks in advance. It's a very nice looking smoker, and the food looks great, congrats. 
The heat source for the Yoder is the pellets. The temperature is regulated by the rate the auger feeds the pellets in to the burn box. Over the time of a long slow cook there is enough smoke to add a nice smoke flavor.

The A-MAZE-N Products are a cold smoker, used to cold smoke things like cheese, jerky.or nuts.  I even smoke salt with mine.  

Thank you for the replies to my questions.  Based on the answers, I have to assume that there is no possible way for the temperature inside the smoker to be the same on the side away from the fire box.  I really want to find or make a smoker with the heat source the full length of the smoker, so the temperature remains the same from end to end.  Is there such a product out there.  One big enough to cook 6 racks of Sam's Club ribs or 8 to 10 pork butts?

My Yoder is actually very even across the whole width. You have to play with the damper a bit, but the factory reccomendation is pretty close. It's within 5-10 degrees, which for a wood fired cooker I'd say is pretty good. I move my ribs around halfway thru, just to even it out.

As Ollie said, over a long smoke it generates enough smoke for flavor, but I still use one of Todds Tubes to add more. Definitely need one on short smokes.

Mbogo

The pellet smoker is more of an indirect heat smoker. I personally own a Rec Tec pellet smoker, and the firebox is located center of the grill covered by a stainless shield going crossways over the firebox and then another stainless shield running the full length of the grill over the crossways shield. Like the above post stated the lower temps produce more "blue smoke" than the higher temps. Blue smoke is the smoke that ideally is wanted for smoking, even though you do not see it, its there. If you want or need more smoke after trialing a few temp ranges with your pellet grill, buy a smoker tube to just set on the grates farthest away from the smokestack and let the smoke roll over your meat.

Hi Yoderites,

I received my 640 a week ago. Been playing with it and doing temperature runs 'til today. 5AM started a pork butt.

Here is some thoughts:

Built heavy WOW! According to my B&S gauge the main body is 7ga (.144"/3.7mm). Makes the others look like tin cans. Going to have to leave this one in my will.

The chimney does not have a closer for rainy weather. A soup can is to small, but a Bush's "Grilling Beans" is just right to keep the rain out. Remove the label, clean off the glue, paint with high heat flat black paint… fits right in. Use an old fashion can opener that leaves the crimped edge. Otherwise it is flimsy and sharp.

My fingers had a hard time getting a hold on the fire box end of the Heat Diffuser. So a made a tool. I took an old putty knife heated the last 1/4" of the blade and bent it over 90°. Now I can use it to hook through the slot on the firebox end and lift it in and out.

And a smoke leak. There is a smoke leak under the hopper were it attaches to the main chamber. Easiest to see at night in the dark with a flashlight. I can deflect and feel the breeze with my hand. Anybody seeing that?

Bill

Hey Timan congrats on your new smoker as well   Looks like some mighty fine Q coming from those Yoder's   My only question is  I know those smokers aren't cheap, I am guessing a grand plus It looks like for that amount they would include some sort of smoke stack damper or cover to keep out rain or snow   ...... Just saying    Might contact them and ask.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky