New to the forum, fixing up origional oklahoma joes smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Chris Billings

Original poster
Aug 10, 2018
Hey guys just wanted to say hi. I've been stalking the forums for a few weeks reading reviews. Decided to purchase a new highland then ended up getting this origional for free instead. So this is my project. Will share results as I go.

Can't wait to use it. Will be looking for some advice on sealing it up after its cleaned up. The FB has some leaks from the lid (appears warped) also from the side door on the fire box. Will also need to replace grates I'm guessing not sure with what. I don't have a welder so I wont be able to weld angle in to hold a new grate.

Had it burning some old charcoal to loosen up the years of gunk that was sitting inside it. Got up to 490 in the CC rolling black smoke before I choked off the fire. Scraped it after and have started outside wire wheeling.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 20180810_183821.jpg
    20180810_183821.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 20180810_184016.jpg
    20180810_184016.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180810_184026.jpg
    20180810_184026.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20180810_184034.jpg
    20180810_184034.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 76
  • 20180810_184043.jpg
    20180810_184043.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20180810_184052_HDR.jpg
    20180810_184052_HDR.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 79
  • 20180810_184100.jpg
    20180810_184100.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 79
Quite a project you have there. Enjoy and I am sure it will make everything cook on it that much better.

Was really hoping to be painting it Sunday. Depends on if we have plans Sunday or not. Would aerosol or brush on BBQ paint be better?

It does look like a big project you got going, but the bones look good. I'd go with spray paint. Something high temp from the auto store - header or block paint.

Chris

Lowes, Home depot and even Walmart carry Rust-oleum brush on high temp paint whihc is good to 1,000 F. I bought some Rutland high-temp spray at Ace that is good to 1,200 F.

A thought about your mounting brackets... You could always just through bolt them to the sides. I would just require a drill and some decent bits (high speed steel) and some bolts (1/4"-20TPI should be plenty strong).

Lavalock has gasket material on amazon which is pretty reasonable, just don't paint where you plan on sticking the gasket.

Lowes, Home depot and even Walmart carry Rust-oleum brush on high temp paint whihc is good to 1,000 F. I bought some Rutland high-temp spray at Ace that is good to 1,200 F.

A thought about your mounting brackets... You could always just through bolt them to the sides. I would just require a drill and some decent bits (high speed steel) and some bolts (1/4"-20TPI should be plenty strong).

Lavalock has gasket material on amazon which is pretty reasonable, just don't paint where you plan on sticking the gasket.
Ya I ended up getting some 2000° header paint from Ace today. I planned on buying the black gasket for the firebox and cook chamber as well as a lavalock clamp to close the firebox since I think its warped. I'll be drilling holes for 2 grate level thermometers before I paint. For the anlgle for the grates that was the only idea I had as well was drill and bolt them in. Should finish grinding and wire wheel today.

If I wire wheel the grates to get that rust off will the be safe to use? Fire side had the rust. Pic attached

Attachments

• 20180811_175108.jpg
    20180811_175108.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 65
Yes, after you re-paint your smoker and you to season it. Liberally coat all inside surfaces with cooking oil, many people including me just buy dollar store cooking spray since it is easy to use for this purpose. Run your smoker up to 250-300F for two hours and your all set. This process burns off dirt and chemical and seals up the metal like seasoning a cast iron skillet that would have washed with soap and water (not a good idea).

Well I'm painting it and 1 whole can couldnt even coat it 1x. Will end up buying the paint on stuff instead

Not a huge can of the finish of the roll on paint vs the aerosol but it does coat much heavier so should protect better. Here is 1 coat so far.

Attachments

• 20180812_185345.jpg
    20180812_185345.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 65
"FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY"

It seems to be sound, no broken welds or rust-through, right?

I think it's neat that a smoker like this can get to a point of neglect that someone is willing to abandon it, and someone else can still restore it. I'm running a similar offset that's about five years old and it's starting to look weathered. At least these days it lives under a roof.

"FOR OUTDOOR USE ONLY"

It seems to be sound, no broken welds or rust-through, right?

I think it's neat that a smoker like this can get to a point of neglect that someone is willing to abandon it, and someone else can still restore it. I'm running a similar offset that's about five years old and it's starting to look weathered. At least these days it lives under a roof.
Thanks for the comments guys. Yes its had some neglect and poor attampts at upgrades. In one of the pics a mason jar/lid can be seen tack welded to the bottom with a torch hole blown in it to drain grease. A few other exterior "holes" not all the way through just blemishes. Not sure do I plug the drain hole it or leave it? Also just need the bling now all painting done.

Old OK joe's thermometer trashed was off by 62° in boiling water registering 150°. Will wait to season it until I have the Lavalock gasket for the CC and SFB. Also ordering a 2 pack of thermometers to install at grate level. Will probably add 1/4" angle iron to hold the grates so they are level most likely bolt them in since I dont have a welder. Also need to get spring handles, need 7" but they are funny shaped can only find 6" that look decent. Will cure it after the lavalock gasket is on, already have a jar of bacon grease.

I noticed the CC side sits lower so its not level likely so grease can drain to the mason jar area. It the grill being level optimal for cooking?

Attachments

• 20180813_175003.jpg
    20180813_175003.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
While I wait for my spring handles, lavalock gasket and thermometers to finish the build would it hurt to cover the inside with bacon grease? Ive noticed surface rust inside from the humidity and don't want to keep cleaning it off. Wasn't going to season it until I jad all my parts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky