New to smoking in the "LOU" . MO

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Daddyluv53

Original poster
Nov 1, 2020
Hello everyone, I guess every 20 or so years I catch a smoking itch. Last time I was in my early twenties didn't know much about smoking."still don't. Lol. But I ruined a nice smoker by cutting out a 2 inch hole in it to let in more air. This time around I purchased. The Dyno Glo-Signature series Vertical offset smoker. I have done a few mods. Changed out wheels, applied gasket sealer all around, grommets for my probes, changed out thermostat. My question is I am still having a problem keeping my temp around 225-250. And feeding charcoal and wood every 40 minutes. And vent is wide open. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

• 16042456623045975491196036838051.jpg
    16042456623045975491196036838051.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 15
Welcome to SMF!
I’m sorry that I’m not familiar with that smoker.
But I’m sure some one will be along shortly who is!
Good luck!
Al

welcome from Iowa! Can't help ya much with your smoker either but one thing I remember reading is to not fight your smoker, let it run where it wants to...unless you're on the low side of temps. But sure others will be along to help ya out.

Ryan

. My question is I am still having a problem keeping my temp around 225-250.
So I'm guessing if your adding every 40 minutes , you're running lower ?
I would start by using Royal Oak charcoal briquettes if your not already doing so .

Reactions: JC in GB
I don't know your smoker but at what temp are you able to maintain? If it's to hot your adding to much fuel. Have you thought about running wood?

I think you might have to close your exhaust vent down about 1/2 way.
Then check your fire and air inlet. If I read correctly, your vents are wide open. If so your airflow is to fast and letting to much heat out. Try adjusting your exhaust vent.
Again I don't know your smoker. Also are you relying on your mounted thermometer? They are usually wrong. Try putting a probe next to your meat. Like with a Thermoworks smoke or signals.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Welcome from Wisconsin.

I had a Dyna-Glo pit and had the same issue. It turned out good Q but took too much tending for my liking.

If you want to spend a few dollars, you can get a PID controller to run a fan that controls your combustion air.

If you get that done, you just need to keep an eye on the fuel and food.

JC :emoji_cat:

Welcome from Wisconsin.

I had a Dyna-Glo pit and had the same issue. It turned out good Q but took too much tending for my liking.

If you want to spend a few dollars, you can get a PID controller to run a fan that controls your combustion air.

If you get that done, you just need to keep an eye on the fuel and food.

Thanks I have been thinking about that option. I am curious what do you own now ?

Thanks I have been thinking about that option. I am curious what do you own now ?

One thing I did to my Dyna-Glo was to attach a welding blanket around the cook chamber and fire box. That made about a 15 - 20 degree difference.

Also, feeding the fire box every 40 minutes is pretty common.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky